This Disappears When Logged In

Day Gecko Problem..

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by matthewgroskopf, Mar 20, 2018.

1. matthewgroskopf

matthewgroskopf Active Member

Hi all, i've recently gotten a hold of a day gecko, hes in the living room in his bioactive vivarium.. thing is?

He's always hiding behind the peace lilly, i've provided him ample space for him to climb all over ect, basking spots bamboo sticks hell, even a little canopy but alas, all he does is hang out behind the peace lilly..

Any help would be great, thanks.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you show a few photos of the whole enclosure and give details of the conditions?

3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

How recently did you get him? If everything checks out with the conditions and space of vivarium, it's probably still in its adjustment period. Most reptiles get scared and hide for a while when introduced to a new environment.

4. matthewgroskopf

Sure, here!

But to summarize,
    I have 3 humidity+temp combo monitors, one for canopy level left, middle for overall and right to monitor basking general basking temp on the basking temp area, I use a temp gun to monitor specific basking spots to make sure they aren't too hot. I also have an automated day and night plug cycle for day and night lights but manually swap out the purple night heat lamp with a day heat lamp, if conditions are too cold in the house i'll use a halogen dome to heat it up more.. He has tons of spots to choose from and hide, the gradients are there as well.. I provide him with repashy crested gecko diet and gecko bites every 4 days and let it sit in a DIY gecko dish, He seems to be pooping too but I can't confirm he's eating, I'm not going to be comfortable giving him live until he's more active. He also appears to have shed skin hanging from his leg for a few days now..
    20180320_231126.jpg 20180320_231121.jpg 20180320_231111.jpg
    LEFT MIDDLE RIGHT

Left is the cool side, middle is semi-cool and right is warm/hot

20180320_231058.jpg 20180320_232031.jpg

You can see the peace Lily on the left there, which he seems to enjoy being around..

Here's the custom watering dish and DIY gecko feeder..

20180320_232047.jpg 20180320_232041.jpg

Heres the basking spot which ranges from 89-96 depending on day/night..

20180320_232131.jpg

In general, the basking spot with the fake plants on it is closest to the lamp, while the bamboo sticks are gradients.

He just shed a few days after we got him so I assumed he was comfy and at home but he only comes out every other day.. its made me very nervous as i'm trying to provide the most homey experience for him. We have had him for a little over two weeks.

He was hanging out on the branch near the food today but when i misted him this morning he fled.

Keep in mind I spent an hour setting up the two other temp/humidity monitors correctly and getting the wiring to look nice, while that was going on I had the heat lamp off.

Thanks for replying! I'm only trying to provide the best for my gecko!

5. matthewgroskopf

Update: I forgot to include measurements,
    he's in a 24 inches tall by 22 inches long by 11 inches wide tank w screen top.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, you will never be able to properly stabilise the temps or humidity with a screen top, you need to cover it as completely as possible (kitchen foil/similar will work temporarily) so that you`ll have a "self contained" environment.
    What type and brand are the heat/light/UVB bulbs?
    There is no reason you cannot offer live prey.
    What are those yellow "sticks"?

7. matthewgroskopf

Those yellow sticks are flukers bamboo sticks, lol.. but yeah, how would I go about the kitchen foil thing? Just cover the lamps too?

Both heat bulbs are Exo-terra, 75w *night purple* and 50w *day white*
    The UVB is a reptisun 10.5

The only reason i'm not offering live prey is because I want to make sure he's active and about so they don't climb all over him, ect.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The foil just covers the screen leaving space for the bulbs.
    Is the UVB a compact bulb because if yes they are not very effective at all, much better are the linear fluorescent tubes approx. 2/3rds the enclosure length (in this case an approx 18inch tube would be suitable).
    Which live prey were you going to offer?

9. matthewgroskopf

Crickets, roaches, red worms and rarely if at all, mealworms after they molt into albinos

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I wouldn`t leave crickets in overnight but the other prey is perfectly safe.
    You haven`t said whether the UVB light is a compact bulb?

11. matthewgroskopf

Yes it is a compact, since its in a dome, I'll get a hood soon.

12. matthewgroskopf

Can you send me a link to what i'll need and i'll order?

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

UVB is important to this species, although a week or so without it won`t do much harm the sooner you can install a suitable UVB tube the better. Covering the screen as completely as possible is urgent (obviously you`ll need to recheck the temps and humidity).

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

15. matthewgroskopf

What would I use to power them?

16. matthewgroskopf

and what wattage should I use?

17. matthewgroskopf

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You buy the suitably sized housing "battens" (either the T8 or T5 diameter) the T8 tube battens are cheaper because the normal "household" type of housing is suitable, the T5 tubes require a smaller diameter batten... I`ll try and get a link up.

19. matthewgroskopf

I'm going to buy a tropical kit from petco in a hour that uses T8 UVB, I'll keep you updated.

murrindindi likes this.
  20. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I can`t find a link to an 18 inch long tube batten, maybe an American member can help, I know they do make them.