This Disappears When Logged In

CWD Enclosure Build (in Progress)

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by epictreasure, Feb 22, 2014.

1. epictreasure

epictreasure Elite Member

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure before I buy anything

2. epictreasure

Dont have any updates for the enclosure, but I do have a few new pics of Damon. Sorry for the blurry pic.
    He loves climbing up the filter and getting on the branch in front of it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  3. epictreasure

Purchased the handles for the removable roof. Also got the plexiglass for the side window.

4. Jaroloth

Jaroloth New Member

I wish you luck on your project!

5. epictreasure

Thanks.

Update: We purchased the rest of the wood, stain and sealant. The stain we got is minwax water based and the color is fruit punch.

Question: All of the silicone brands say mold or mildew resistant on them. Are the GE I & II safe?

6. epictreasure

Update: most of the panels are on

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  7. trappen

trappen Elite Member

Looking great!! Can't wait for the final product!

8. epictreasure

Finished the staining on everything but the hood

Attached Files:

9. epictreasure

Question: All of the silicone brands say mold or mildew resistant on them. Are the GE I & II safe? Which is more often used? Can the tinted ones be used?

Thanks for all the help.

10. When we built my CWD enclosure we used just plain old 100% silicone. It was harder to find but has none of the added ingredients that could be potentially harmful.

11. epictreasure

We have all of the staining done and have applied one coat of polycrylic. Still have about 1-2 coats for the outside and 2-3+ coats on the inside.

Thanks for all the help everyone

12. epictreasure

Update: The enclosure now has 3 coats of polycrylic on the inside and 2 on the outside.

Question: how many coats of polycrylic are recommended for the inside and outside of a water dragon enclosure?

Thanks for all the help.

Attached Files:

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I do 3-4 on the inside of the enclosure and then the outside should only need 1 coat unless you plan on putting it outside or having it rain inside your place.

14. epictreasure

15. epictreasure

Has anyone ever used industrial strength velcro for holding florescent fixtures to the ceiling of the cage? Or are there any alternatives other than screwing the fixture to the roof?
    Thanks for any help.

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I used industrial velcro to hold a 30gal tank inverted ontop of a 90gal and it held amazingly well I imagine a lighter object such as the lighting ficture wouldnt be an issue at all. Just make sure to secure the cord along the roof as well so that the cwd cant jump on the cord and somehow rip the fixture down. Not that that is a likely occurance since the cwd is probably way too light to separate the velcro.

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would not chance it. The heat from the fluorescent ballast could cause the adhesive to weaken.

18. epictreasure

Thanks for the help.

19. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. The velcro is super strong but I have had issues even from the low power of LED lights that affected the adhesive.

20. epictreasure

Does anyone have suggestions for other options to hold a fixture to the inside top of a wooden enclosure? I don't want to put screws through the fixtures if I don't have to. I have one 36" metal fixture and one 30" plastic fixture.
    Thanks for any help.