This Disappears When Logged In

cutting plexiglass

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by schlegelbagel, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

So I'm thinking ahead to a 75 gallon vertical conversion. When I was making the lid to my current tank, the plexi was very hard to cut. We were using a dremel and I think I went through about 4 disks for a very small amount of plexiglass. Thin glass too.

So for a vertical conversion, I want to have a plexiglass door so I will have to custom cut this down to size. What's the best tool to use? Or should I just try and find a place i can order a custom piece?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

When I built my iguana cage I used a regular table saw to cut the sheets. As long as you don't rush it it works fine.

3. schlegelbagel

Table saw. I have one of those! Any special blade I need?

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I was using one that belonged to a friend and used whatever blade was on the saw at the time. He does woodwork so I assume it was just a regular wood cutting blade.

You might cut oversize the first time to make sure there won't be any chipping.

5. schlegelbagel

Thanks for the tip. This won't happen right away. My hubby still needs a job first! Once the finances get straightened out again, building a big tank will be on my priority list.

6. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

You need a fine tooth blade for the table saw and you have to cut it fast so the friction doesn't melt the plexi and cause it to warp. A jigsaw works well too. With either saw you have to make sure to secure it well so it doesn't vibrate while your cutting it or it will crack.

Easiest way I have ever found is a razor blade, a new one. Secure a guide and then run the razor blade through about 4 or 5 times (this is scoring) then snap the piece in two. They sell plexi glass cutters too, just a modified razor blade that sits at the correct angle for scoring, they work well but don't last very long.

7. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

A local glass shop will cut your piece for a few bucks or a custom piece for a few bucks. Last 12x12 i got was 3.40. Cut to fit and stuff so it was cool.

8. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Up here the big box hardware stores carry the plexi. I assume Lowes would as well . They will cut it to your size for a small fee. I would suggest sanding the corners round and polishing the edges. It will enable them to slide smoother.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.