This Disappears When Logged In

Custom Uromastyx Enclosure

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by Vers, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Vers

Vers Elite Member

This is a cross post from the Uromastyx forum but I figured it would serve a better purpose here. To give you a better idea of the enclosure size, as it stands, it's currently 4x2x3 (WxDxH). The backdrop consists of 2" thick foam insulation carved and covered with several coats of non-sanded grout. The top cabinet is 12"h and includes a shallow compartment which houses the switches, timer and various other supplies. It also has a hinged top where the lamp fixtures are mounted, which provides easy access for changing bulbs. Currently the only substrate is 12x12 tile. When work slows down a bit in the next couple weeks I plan to build a second identical enclosure which I'll link directly to this one via several access points/tunnels. I'm debating on adding Excavator Clay as well but am questioning its durability, specifically keeping it clean, in the long run.
    6373278379_bdb94aac26_z.jpg

6373313799_226946e68d_z.jpg

6373322549_5f97c33108_z.jpg

6373306091_39334f79b3_z.jpg

6373264555_9516b3c72b_z.jpg

Matt

Attached Files:

2. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

Great setup! :)

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You plan too much (just kidding)
    I like the switches and timers setup for the electrical.
    Well thought out enclosure.

Just make sure there are no small holes up top that they can escape through.
    Trust me, I've had mine climb what I thought was impossible and get out through an electrical hole.

4. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Appreciated!

Mike, unless they can lift the 20lb lid or unscrew the screws fastening the vents in they aren't going anywhere! Safety was a top priority in the enclosures design. That said as soon as I cut the hole in the enclosure ceiling, before the cabinet was installed, I noticed how close the right side's backdrop was to the edge of the cutout, which left fairly easy access to the rim around the top of the enclosure. Before I took further measures I wanted to make sure they could get up there and how they would do it. Sure enough the very next day 'she' scaled up the back wall onto the rear wall ledge and then right on to the right wall and up on to the top rim. Since then I added a 5" piece of oak on top of the ledge that stretches along the length of the right wall. This creates an additional ledge which is now inaccessible.

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

For how clumsy they look, they sure can climb.
    I swear mine had to traverse the fluorescent fixture cord to escape. If only I had it on video ;)

6. Vers

Vers Elite Member

haha I hear you, man! The first time I watched her climb up the backdrop a few weeks ago she looked off balance and clumsy--now she runs right up it as if it were laying flat. She is ridiculous with it.

7. jcb

jcb Member

Vers
    Great looking enclosure. I see that you have two different light builbs, What are you using can't quite make them out.
    I really like the top cabinet & may borrow an Idea or two. Thanks for sharing

8. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Appreciated! I'm lighting and heating the basking area with a 160w PowerSun and a 120w halogen flood on a dimmer to better control heat output.