This Disappears When Logged In

Custom Uro Enclosure IV

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by Vers, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Wiring is all done and I got to carving and applying the first base coat of concrete to the top enclosure's BG. I'll be starting on the second backdrop and paint tomorrow.
    Here is a quick shot of one of the sides. The bottom right hand corner won't be seen, hence the lack of creative detailing.
    8622287461_5d0a1cfdd3_c.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I managed to carve the second backdrop, applied it's first coat and a second coat to the first backdrop AND got the enclosures into primer. I would have had the first primary coat of paint on them but forgot to bring an extra roller, like a dope. All in all it was a pretty productive day. Just a few more coats of concrete on the BGs and a couple primary paint coats on the enclosures and they will be ready for install and, more importantly, animal intros.

Anyway, here is a shot of the upper cabinet showing the fixture (minus the linear fluorescent fixture) and electrical layout along with my cheap CFL reflector haha
    8626700268_7883790f40_c.jpg

Attached Files:

3. troymclure

troymclure Elite Member

have you thought of selling your enclosures? im sure there would be lots of interest, and freight shipping(pallet) wouldnt be that unreasonable.

4. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I have considered it, but frankly the time and effort of advertising and actual construction might be a hindrance during certain times of the year. Freight is another thing entirely, it would be quite expensive--these things are large and heavy. Now, if I came up with a 'throw-it-together-yourself' design, something Ikea-esque, it would be cheaper, but by how much I'm not sure. In the end, the pool of clientele willing to pay for something like this is small...I've been approached but those who I've given my info to have yet to follow up, one of which being a local petstore.

Anyway, I got the first primary coat of paint on the enclosures today and applied more concrete to the backdrops this morning...another coat is about to go on right now.

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Very few would want to pay in the thousands for an enclosure for sure.
    Looking good Matt. By the way, you are WAY too organized with your electrical ;)

6. Vers

Vers Elite Member

You're right, most people just don't want to spend the coin on something like this.

Thanks though, Mike--and if you think that's organized you should see my computers :D

7. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Install Day! And just on time...the noobs arrive tomorrow at 9am sharp.
    8655958025_e8cce4747e_c.jpg

Attached Files:

8. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

looks great matt. Love that piece of driftwood you found. Good stuff (as always.)

9. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Thanks, fellas. I've had the piece for a while now--it just never fit right in my other enclosures (frankly it doesn't fit all that well in these either). I have a few more pieces that I've been saving for the right enclosure as well, but they are too large and I'd hate to destroy them by cutting them up.

In any case, the newbies (two U. nigriventris) just got here a little while ago and are currently defrosting--pics once they've settled in ;)

10. diehardislanders

Awesome!! I love reptile day! Can't wait to see the pics matt. And regarding driftwood... for a man that makes his own enclosures... there is no such thing as a piece that is too big.

11. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Haha...it's like Christmas, only I'm getting what I really want and I'm buying it myself.

Haha...everything is relative, including the space I have to put the enclosures! Larger piece of drift wood->larger enclosure->larger room->larger house :D You see, I have no constraints on how large I can make my enclosures...my house, on the other hand....

12. Vers

Vers Elite Member

And here is a quick snap of my adult male...still warming up.
    Frozen, around 9:15...
    8657146271_afef3bfde9_c.jpg
    warmer, around 10:30...
    8658315994_fed9ace97d_c.jpg

Attached Files:

13. diehardislanders

How old is he? Love the colors on the back. What differentiates between the subspecies of Uro's? Is it locale?

14. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Neither I nor the person I got them from has any real idea as to age. I believe he is 4+ years, though, just based on size. That orange really pops when he's at 100%, and it should become brighter yet.

As for the subspecies thing, are you referring to U. acanthinurus, or are you talking about the Uromastyx genus as a whole? As a whole, there are, I believe, 14 or 15 different species with a few subspecies here and there. It gets confusing because it seems they are constantly being shifted and re-classified. In regards to U. acanthinurus in specific, to my knowledge the species is comprised of three subspecies, which include U. a. acanthinura (Algerian uro), U. a. nigriventris (Moroccan uro) and U. a. werneri(Short-tailed Moroccan), although I'm not 100% sure U. a. werneri is considered a subspecies, even though they have distinctly different physical features (i.e. shorter tail/less whorls, hence the 'common' name). While geography/locales play a role, there are areas where natural ranges overlap, thus opening up the possibility/probability of interbreeding. This seems to be a relatively common occurrence as many imported specimens point towards cross breeding. Doug Dix, one of the premier Uromastyx breeders in the US, is actually purposely interbreeding U. maliensis and U. nigriventris as well as U. flavofaciata to create intergrades that are said to exist in nature. I have also seen U. o. ornata that share U. o. philbyi characteristics, which are referred to some as "Red-Back Ornates". Since the two are so closely related and share parts of the same geographical locations its no surprise to see intergrades. In fact, this is something in specific that I plan to test myself. In any case, both physical characteristics (scale size/count, tail size/shape/number of whorls, physical size, coloration, pattern, sexual traits, DNA etc etc) AND locale play roles in the taxonomic process.

15. diehardislanders

I was referring to the genus as a whole. Thanks for the answer. The difference in locales is my favorite thing about reptiles. It is so fascinating because we know at one point they were all the same, and It is interesting to observe how geographical separation has such an impact on a genus.

16. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I agree. It's one of the pimary aspects that attracts me to the Uromastyx genus. If you're interested swing by deerfernfarms.com just to see the species and their variations.

Here is another shot of him--just grabbed it now.
    8657498263_642925f2f7_c.jpg
    He's in the middle of a shed, it appears, so in a month or so he should have some new threads to show off.

Attached Files:

17. TtomRed

TtomRed Active Member

Hey vers, just had to drop by and say blown away by all your enclosures, I'd have to admit that I've been realizing every tweak I've made to my in-progress project is based on checking out some of your ideas haha. Hope to see more in the future! Quick question for ya though, what do you coat your foam wall pieces with? I know I've read the answer to this in one of your threads but I couldn't find it. I'm not quite that artistic but if it's a matter of just some foam and a couple layers of something I might give it a shot

18. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words and I'm glad you could take something useful away from the design(s). The backdrops are coated with acrylic fortified concrete (sand/topping mix) but grout and other fine concrete mixes would work too.

19. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

Didnt you say you bought 2 or was i mistaken

20. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Two moroccans? Yes, I received two. I have yet to grab a decent shot of the little one because it's extremely skittish. The only shot I have is this one, which, thanks to digital zoom on my camera, looks like garbage.
    8658316816_d495dec688_c.jpg
    Once they have acclimated I'll grab some better shots with the DSLR.

Attached Files: