This Disappears When Logged In

Custom Enclosure

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by White Rose, Feb 1, 2017.

1. White Rose

White Rose New Member

I'm getting a New enclosure for my new water dragon and I'm having a hard time finding a safe but relatively cheap and reliable waterproof sealant. I'm buying the enclosure off CL and it's all oak wood. I've read a lot of mixed things about Minwax being used for reptiles. Pond armor is just a bit too much that I want to spend but I know that's highly recommended among most reptile owners. Any recommendations? I plan to seal any cracks with 100% acrylic seal. He'll have a substrate at the bottom with all his live plants. Then, of course, all his decor along with his fogger. I also plan to have a drain in the bottom to remove excess water. Any help is appreciated!

2. Jeepster

Jeepster Member

Silicone Aquarium Sealant Clear or Black 10.2 oz, FDA Approved Fish Safe by AAP | eBay
    I got this stuff to use for backgrounds. Reasonable price and aquarium safe. Smear a thin coat over all of the wood maybe?

3. Jeepster

Jeepster Member

If it's a visual area you can sprinkle it with sand or something while it's still wet.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

It's really going to depend how much water will be running over the wood.
    Light misting and you can get away with multiple coats of polycrylic. However you mention a drain at the bottom so if that is required I'm afraid you're looking at a higher expense such as the pond armor. Another way would be to fit a low rubbermaid tub at the bottom for the water to drain into.

5. White Rose

White Rose New Member

Yeah, I kinda figured I was gonna have to. I'm gonna go ahead with the pond armor. I have high hopes it'll cover the whole thing. I plan to get a "False bottom" I think it's called so the water drains out through the bottom, But I'll have to see about that. I was also contemplating just putting in Ceramic fixtures for bulbs ( the ones you can get at home depot). Should that be okay even with the humidity? The actual part of the Cabinet that will be the enclosure is roughly 5 feet tall, 3 feet wide, and 1.5 feet deep. I'm contemplating making a Background for the enclosure but I would need a bit more research for that. If I did make one, however, Would I still need to use pond armor on that back panel of that enclosure? Or would it be okay without it? Because I might also be making another one for a Chameleon and I would more than likely have to water proof that too, and I would rather not have to buy more. Thank you!

6. Jsilverback64

Jsilverback64 Established Member

Could be a good idea to use cork panels for walls. Adhere them with silicone mentioned above and it'll give a great place for climbing and for any air plants to root.

7. Morbid Monkee

Morbid Monkee New Member

8. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

The Ceramic fixtures is what you will need for basking lights and if you use an MVB for UV.