This Disappears When Logged In

Custom Enclosure Wiring

Discussion in 'Electricity/Wiring' started by Zane, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Zane

Zane Well-Known Member

I was just curious if anyone has thought to install a custom power switch that has their lights power outlets wired into a light switch conveniently placed on the enclosure somewhere? I have been thinking about it, and as long as there is a hollow space between the enclosure and the actual encasing, it shouldn't be anymore complicated than doing just about anything else people do to build their own custom enclosures.

If anyone has done this and would like to pass on a few "lessons learned" that would be highly appreciated! And if no one has done this, then I ask, WHY NOT?!?!?!?!

2. justor

justor Elite Member

I just have all my lights connected to timers. Eliminates the need for a switch altogether.

3. Zane

Zane Well-Known Member

Very true, but when you do need to adjust the output of a heating device, doesn't it get very frustrating to have to find that dimmer switch tucked away somewhere behind the enclosure?

Maybe my idea's are impractical, I was just imagining the cleanliness that look could produce.

4. justor

justor Elite Member

I do have a heat source in my iguana enclosure connected to a dimmer, and it is a pain to adjust it since it is in fact tucked away behind the enclosure. I thought you were talking about a simple on/off switch.

There is an article on the site on how to make a rheostat which could be mounted on an enclosure. Build A Rheostat Receptacle

5. Vers

Vers Elite Member

You mean like this?
    6373306091_39334f79b3_z.jpg
    6373322549_5f97c33108_z.jpg

Attached Files:

6. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

...... Showoff...
    lol

7. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

8. aeral

aeral Elite Member

I'm a bit envious of Vers' setup. Something to aspire to create! :)

I use a dimmer/homemade rheostat for my heating pad at the moment - which isn't really mounted anywhere but I built the unit to not require any additional isolation for safety so it just sits on my floor. Not very nice looking, but it works for now.

9. Vers

Vers Elite Member

You could hardwire everything or build your own rheostat receptacle, or you could just buy an in-line dimmer switch or wall wart for ~$10. You know what they say about skinning cats :)

10. Zane

Zane Well-Known Member

Yes!!! And now that i see it, it is a must have!!! Lol. Although i'm not counting out timers either, but it's always nice to be able to adjust things too.

Attached Files:

11. Vers

Vers Elite Member

My enclosures all have separate built-in timers and switch banks, all of which have a dimmer switch (far right switch in the pictures) that control the basking light fixtures. This allows me to control the output of the outdoor halogen basking lamp based on the room's ambient temp. The benefit to having switches that control each lighting/heating component is that I can choose which one I want on or off without messing with a snakes nest of power cords. Another thing that you cannot determine from the picture is that the second switch in from the left is the only switch in this bank that is not hooked up to the timer. This switch runs independently and powers a CHE that I use for colder winter nights, this way I can turn it on or off when need be.

12. Zane

Zane Well-Known Member

A truly well thought out plan and design! I will definitlely be doing some thing like that in the near future.