This Disappears When Logged In

Custom Chameleon Enclosure

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by 789leo987, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 789leo987

789leo987 Elite Member

Hey guys, I plan on building a custom chameleon enclosure for a pair or trio of Side-Striped Chameleons (these are small chameleons only measuring a mere 4-6 inches). The enclosure would measure approximately 18X24X60 (LWH), and it would fit quite nicely in a little nook in my living room. I'm thinking of using aluminum screen for the front door, and some sort of wood for the sides (to protect the drywall from taking in any moisture). And, I would fit the inside of the enclosure with some sort of waterfall, and PLENTY of foliage. If anyone has made anything like this could you possibly post a pic of the finished project or give me some suggestions on how to build it (what materials to use, etc...) Thanks a lot. :p

Dylan

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am not familiar with side striped but as a general rule chameleons are not a communally kept lizard They stress easily and do not care for the closeness of their own kind.
    Many cannot even be kept where they can see their own reflection in glass.

3. 789leo987

789leo987 Elite Member

No, these chameleons ARE communal animals, often being found in the wild in groups of 4-5. But, anyways, what do you think of the enclosure design? Any suggestions?? Thanks,

Dylan

4. TWFG2

TWFG2 Member

I used to keep chameleons, but jacksons and veiled. It sounds like it would do fine, but have another cage ready in case there is aggression.

5. 789leo987

789leo987 Elite Member

Alright, thanks. Does anybody have any pics of a completed tank similar to this one so I have something to build off of?

6. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Can you give us the resources where you found this information? Many times very young reptiles of various species will tolerate each other for a time. They are very small and there is strength in numbers. As they mature, they will eventually claim a territory where no others are allowed. If they don't have their space, they will become stressed to where they will fight and they won't eat.
    I'm open to new information but, this is a new one on me.

7. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

8. 789leo987

789leo987 Elite Member

Sry, I can't seem to find the website I was on, but I know it said they are okay to live in groups, as the author of the web page had been keeping them in pairs or trio's for years. Anyways, thanks Kendalle for finding that useful caresheet.

9. Merlin

Did they say how big the enclosures were that they were using? A lot of times people make such claims and then come to find out that they are using spaces that are huge and beyond the scope of the run of the mill keeper!

10. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

The only Cham I would think of keeping in groups are the stump tails. you may be able to keep these as pairs but I would go for a larger cage at least 2' x 2' x 4' and very well planted. Have a look at Chameleons! Online E-Zine for caging Ideas, they have a great article on cage building.

11. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

the care sheet i found said they can be housed in pairs but i don't know anything about them

12. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I looked at that. To me, It seems more of a sales pitch than a care sheet.

13. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

*shrug* i have no idea about them

14. Merlin

Me neither! There really doesn't seem to be much info out there on them.

15. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Yea, It can be hard to find a good care sheet. I am a skeptical, even sometimes cynical, person. I'm just wary of caresheets from people who are trying to sell something.

It's a buyer beware world out there! There are many sellers out there who hide behind the fact that YOU are supposed to know what is right and wrong for the animal you want to keep. They will sell you whatever you want. Being unethical is not against the law.:(

We have a veiled chameleon caresheet on this site.

16. Wildflowernw

Wildflowernw Elite Member

It probably depends on the chameleon too. I'm betting some are more territorial than others.
    I know I was told my little Jacksons would be fine together till about 4 months. I bought them at 3 weeks old and a week later I had to separate them. One is real mild mannered while the other gets downright cranky if I bother him. Hissing and sputtering, funny as **** since he's only about an inch long nose to vent. The aggressive one also goes over and investigates new furniture in his cage immediately. While a timid one takes awhile to go take a look and may even hide right at first.

Both are big eaters and respond well to any food offerings.

I have to admit they sure are a lot of fun!

Linda

17. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Mine is VERY shy! I have to either leave the room or remain very still before he will feed.

18. Wildflowernw

Wildflowernw Elite Member

Well if I toss something in and it goes and hides (meal worm) if I reach my hand in to retrieve it all bets are off.

Funny thing is the most aggressive one turns tail and can move pretty darn fast. The Shy one just hunches up and closes its eyes. So if I'm quick about it that one will end up going for the "prey"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.