This Disappears When Logged In

Curious ;)

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by burp, May 12, 2013.

1. burp

burp Well-Known Member

I am not rushing out tomorrow and buying a new snake, but I am curious as to what snake would be next up from the ball python? I just got my 4 month old ball python a week ago today. I have the herp bug and want 80 more snakes now. But I have told myself to wait aleast 6 more months before I can get more. Of course I love ball pythons but I have been loking on the forum and I have fallen in love with carpet python and the green tree python also the woma pythons. So I gusse what I am asking are any of these snakes I listed for good a second snake for me? If not what is also can a have a few care facts on each of them? Just the basics would be helpfull
    Humdity
    Full grown size
    Size of tank as an adult
    Temps
    Like I said in the begging i am not rushing out and buying one tomorrow. Me doing this now gives time to buy the cage and the things need for the inside of the tank. And the snake itsself. Thank you in advance.

2. Levi

Levi Member

I really know colubrids more than anything else, but I would not suggest green tree pythons. They tend to be rather aggressive snakes. I have heard than woma pythons are pretty docile for the most part. That would be my suggestion. However, any individual can defy the species' normal temperament.
    It also depends on what you want. If you don't care about holding the snake (or just don't mind being bit), and you just want something pretty to look at that is fun to feed, a green tree python would be a great choice.

3. burp

burp Well-Known Member

Do you no any colubrids that would be good for second snake? I am open to any snake but was only looking at pythons because I have a thing with corns there coloring is kinda weird. ( to me atleast. Not trying to offend any one). Although I do like the lavender corn snakes so I gusse I would be open to any snakes.

4. medusa1974

medusa1974 Well-Known Member

Is this ball python your first snake? If so I completely agree with Levi you don't have close to enough time or experience to keep a green tree python, they are normally to aggressive for a newer snake owner! A woma may be a little better. Have you thought of a red tail boa of some kind? What kind of room and budget are you working with for there housing and care.

5. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

why not another BP they have soo many morphs that you can choose from :) maybe a boa as well, it's a larger snake so it will add to your experience and they're fairly easy. if you wait long enough then you'll be able to get something more but in atleast another year or more... IMHO GTP will require a substantial investment in equipment and in the animal itself. Carpets may be a good stepping stone to them but you'll need more time. look through some of the BP morphs I bet you'll find something you really want :)

6. Levi

Levi Member

Well, if corn snakes are not your thing, I love kingsnakes. I highly recommend brooks kings. They are pretty docile to hold, and I have never even heard of a picky eater. Cal kings are popular because they are really hardy and good eaters. Outside of corns and kings, it takes a bit more homework (though it takes some research no matter what snake you are getting). A lot of people really like hognose snakes, but you have to watch them. They are mildly venomous. It won't kill you (unless you're super highly allergic), but you will swell up for a few days. Garters are really fun because they will eat feeder fish and worms. Just make sure you do your homework on what fish are ok. Some, like goldfish and rosy red minnows, contain thiaminase, which can be pretty bad. Milksnake are good, but can have problems being held. Rat snakes tend to have attitude. I don't really know much about bull or pine snakes.

Note: Colubrids are definitely different from pythons or boas. You can not treat them the same.

7. Levi

Levi Member

The basics for kings. Humidity is less than pythons. I keep my brooks at 50%-60%, and my desert is at 40%-45%. Brooks can get big. They tend to top out at 6ft, but I have heard people talk of 7ft. Cal kings are a little smaller, more like 5 ft. I would say that you need a minimum of 50 gallons for an adult brooks, and only a bit less for a cal. The reason is that the have only one functional lung. They need to be able to straighten out from time to time or you risk respiratory infections. The cool side ambient should be around 80 degrees F, and the hotspot should be 89-90 degrees F.

8. medusa1974

Colubrids are fun but nothing beats a 17ft Burmese. Just kidding if this is your second snake you are in no way ready for a burm or retic. The kings are pretty cool but I'm a constrictor guy so I don't know a lot about the colubrids. A childrens or another ball would be the way to go.

9. Levi

Levi Member

Kingsnakes are constrictors. Did you mean boa constrictor?

This is a video of my kingsnakes feeding. They are still less than a year old here, so they will get a lot bigger.
    [video=youtube;H9Ug-E6ky_g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9Ug-E6ky_g[/video]

10. burp

burp Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I am going to do my homework on any snake I get and thanks for the advice on the king snakes I never really looked into them but will now. And I might just get another bp. But I do like the idea of a deffint snakes. How about the carpets? Would they be good? I love them they are so beautifull! But I will keep an open mind. And is there any other snake that would be good for me that hasn't been listed yet?

11. medusa1974

Actually Levi they aren't technically full constrictors they are what are called colubor constrictors. Which means your colubrids may constrict which many do but not all colubrids do. All I was saying is a king snake would be cool. But I am a true constrictor guy not a colubrid guy sorry for the misunderstanding and gorgeous snakes by the way. I'll have to put up a couple of my babies feeding.

12. Levi

Levi Member

Interesting. I know there is a species Coluber constrictor (racers), but I've never heard the term before.
    Thanks.
    Please do. Especially if you have some of your retic. :)

13. medusa1974

I actually video a lot of my feedings I usually won't post my retics just do to how aggressive they feed(it has been a bit messy from time to time). But Delilah is due for a feeding Friday or Sat. I will try to get a good video of it. It may actually be good for this thread. The one thing nobody has asked is can she afford 20-30 dollars a week to feed a snake. I know its about $150 every week to 10 days to feed all my little babies.

And yes Racers are true culbor constrictors. The big difference is colubrids subdue there prey by constricting and will eat it before its fully dispatched versus a true constrictor that fully dispatches its prey by constriction. And I know someone is going to bring up the point that some cases of constrictors eating there prey and having it not be fully dead and revive while they are eating. This is a very small percent and very seldom happens.

14. Levi

Levi Member

Well, the point is not technicalities. The point is to learn about cool animals, so I thank you for the information even if someone else gets nitpicky about it.

15. burp

burp Well-Known Member

So should I just stick with a another ball python. ( i have two alredy because my sister hasnt decided if she is keeping hers. So i just say she is mine for now. And i would like to explore defferint kinds of snakes. )Or would a boa or carpet be better as a steping stone for a gtp? And I do have the money to feed it every week or I wouldn't be thinking about getting another one! I would never bring ANY animal in my home if I couldn't aford it. Thank you to the people who are helping me decide.

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am not sure where you are getting your information from, but it is not true. Coluber constrictor is a specific species, not a designation. The term "constrictor" applies to any snake that kills its prey by coiling around it, causing suffocation.

17. burp

burp Well-Known Member

Sooo.....what snake is best for me?

18. VaranusDragon74

VaranusDragon74 Active Member

If you have the room for a 40 gallon breeder tank, or larger, get a Central American, Sonoran, Nicaraguan, or Insular Boa (Crawl Cay, Cay Caulker, Pearl Island, etc.). They are the Dwarf versions, of the Red Tail Boa or BCI. They max out at around 5 1/2 feet long. BUT, if you're looking to work towards the Green Trees, then a Carpet Python morph (Jag, Coastal, Darwin, Diamond, Jungle) is good training. Darwins, or Iran Jayas (same morph), are most similar in size, to GTPs. The other morphs can reach up to 12+ feet. Darwin/I.J.'s max out at just under 7 feet, which is an average GTP length, but some do reach just under 8 feet. Well short of a 12' 3" adult Coastal Carpet.

19. VaranusDragon74

VaranusDragon74 Active Member

Go with a Darwin/I.J., or a Diamond. Get it at the foot long size, and let it grow in your care. At that size, if they do nip you, it's more shock than actual pain..

Google the T+ Albino Darwin Carpets, they are gorgeous!!! Might even diminish the itch for a GTP ??

20. burp

burp Well-Known Member

On it right now! Lol thank you. I have been looking at the red/common boa on the forum. How large do they get? And are they smilar to the bp? Oh and how large do the carpets get? I don't think the itch will go away for the gtp was the first snake I fell in love with but told my self to start small. And work my way up. ( its harder then I thought).

I just looked up the t+ albino carpet, and I am not in love. I haven't really loved any albino snake. Do you have any other snakes in mind?