This Disappears When Logged In

Cuban Tree Frog Sick?

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by bigolbluedodge, Jan 6, 2014.

1. bigolbluedodge

bigolbluedodge Banned User

So I bought a Cuban Tree Frog about 2 weeks ago or so. I put him in my tank and so far I haven't seen him move much. I know they're nocturnal, but he literally was in the same spot for the whole time I've had him. I cleaned out my tank and put in all new substrate and when I put him back in the tank, he immediately buried himself and has been there ever since. I don't know what his deal is. He looked pretty skinny when I pulled him out, so I don't know if he's eating. I also have 2 brown anoles in the tank and they're doing fine. I leave crickets in the tank to free roam, so there is always food in there for him to eat, but he doesn't seem to be eating it. I've checked on him at all hours of the night and he never seems to come out and move around. The tank is a 55 gallon. Humidity fluctuates between 30 and 80%, but I mist multiple times a day until I can get a fogger or a mister. Temp in the tank where he is at now is always around 70 degrees. Just curious if other people have this issues or if I should be worried. Should I try feeding him something different? Maybe he's eating and I don't know it, but I've never seen him eat anything. Should I try putting him in a smaller carrier and feeding him in there? Just kind of looking for advice and if this is normal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Josh

2. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Pictures of the frog and setup will help alot. I read in your other post that you are using the stick on thermometers/hydrometers and mentioned that anoles don't need "precise humidity control" (don't agree with you on that) this is definetelly not the case with amphibians. Tree frogs often burrow to gain moister in the soil when there is not enough moister in the air. Your humidity may be to low (30% is low). I'd get a digital thermometer/hydrometer if I were you. At 70F the frog may also be going into a hybernation stage. Raise the temps to the high 70's to low 80's.

3. bigolbluedodge2

bigolbluedodge2 Banned User

Turns out he's fine. I think he was just getting used to the tank. He's moving around now and eating.