This Disappears When Logged In

Cuban Anole - Anyone Got Em?

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by tink, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tink

tink Elite Member

Hey all.
    I got a Cuban Knight Anole probably five or six months ago. I work at a pet store so that is where I got him. We ordered Green Anoles and the place sent us these, because they were out. Of course my employees thought they were regular Anoles and so did everyone else. You don't really see much about these guys. So, I read up a bunch and set up the best I could at work. I ended up attaching to one and buying him. He would come up to me and sit on my hand. Yeah well that didn't last long, lol. He's an aggressive little guy. I never hold him now. He's still only a few inches long.
    Anyhow.
    Anyone else have these?
    I have him in a 10gal tank with coco husk and fake plants and a small bowl.(which he only drinks from a dripper anyway!) Yes, I know I will need to upgrade! He's so tiny right now! I have a daylight bulb, uvb bulb, and a red one for at night.
    Honestly here lately he's been sitting towards the bottom. Not basking. And looking gloomy. Like stressed and brown. Is there any reason for that? I know anoles will do it, but I haven't changed anything. He still eats and drinks though.
    Any good websites or caresheets out there?
    I've probably seen em, but trying to learn more.
    Or advice?

2. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I have never seen a Cuban Anole, can you please post some pics?

3. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

Knights get REALLY big, some up to 22 inches. are you sure that's what it is? Here's a decent care sheet on them. Cuban Knight Anole Care

4. KJ1081

KJ1081 Active Member

I've been the lucky and proud owner of a female Cuban for the past 2 years, and I'd love to help you anyway I can. I had a really hard time finding decent info on their care as well, but I've learned a lot by trial and error. My advice:
    1. Use a tall enclosure, preferably one that can hold water for drainage, live plants, etc. Front opening is the best- easier to work around an aggressive Cuban when you're not coming down on them like a predator- they don't spook as easy when you approach from the side
    2. Use live plants- nice, tall, sturdy ones with broad leaves- great for keeping the humidity high and offers natural hiding places- mine was very shy when I first got her, so she hid most of the time. If you don't want the hassle of a planted enclosure, use paper towel substrate and just add potted plants- make sure no fertilizers or chemicals are present in the soil or plant
    3. Add a few vertical branches/corkbark pieces- they'll cling to these, hanging down, hunting feeder insects
    4. I use pretty broad temp gradient- 95 deg basking spot, 87 degree ambient at the canopy level, the understory is 10 degrees cooler
    5. Mist a few times a day- they tend to be droplet drinkers and they like a pretty high humidity: I've experienced dehydration and/or shed problems with humidity less that 85%
    6. As far as aggression goes: my female used to literally attack me anytime I went into her enclosure, and this settled with time. Now she'll let me pet her (in the enclosure- handling is way to stressful for her) once in a while, and she's learned to shift for feeding/cleaning. She lets me work around her now, and she'll take food from a hemostat, but in general, she's still pretty spooky, and she's definitely the type to bite first, ask questions later, so to speak. I've heard the males are far more aggressive, but either way, I used gloves when I first started handling my cuban, and it was worth it- they're bite can draw blood, but it isn't too bad
    Best of luck with your Cuban! And if you happen to know of any male Cubans available: I'm looking for one. My female is such a good egg layer, that I really want to get her a male. let me know if there's anything I can help you with

5. tink

tink Elite Member

I'm pretty sure that's what he is.
    I will get some pictures this weekend.
    Thanks KJ! I found that the basking area should be high, but I think that's why he's been gloomy. When I set the light higher up and the temp goes down he's more active.
    And do they grow slow? I've had more for like six months and he's probably only grown maybe 2in. He's soooo little. It scares me, that maybe he was too young for all that stress and shipping such.
    He attacks crickets like mad though! Lol.
    And yes he deff only drinks droplets. Actually the little guy tries to catch them as I spray!

6. KJ1081

KJ1081 Active Member

I can't tell you how fast they grow from personal experience, because my female was already a sub-adult when I received her. I have looked into raising babies, as I'm looking for a male, and I've heard that they do grow relatively quickly. So I can't really say whether he's growing too slowly, but maybe you'll see a growth spurt now that he's warmer. Glad he seems to be doing well for you! Btw- if he's that small, how are you sure he's a male? I'm guessing based on head size? At 2in long, I wouldn't think his testicles would have descended yet, but I could be wrong.

7. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

If he has grown 2 inches in 6 months I would say that Is quick for a small lizard.

8. tink

tink Elite Member

Well he does that head bopping thing and the red under his throat appears. He's very pretty. Isn't that a sign of a male? He's a baby, so he has white strips too. I broke my camera and had to order a new one. I'll get pix soon I promise!

9. Lagartija

Lagartija New Member

Hello, I'm new to the forum :)
    You guys seem very helpful and nice. I have a question for you KJ1081;

I've had a cuban anole for about 9 months. I hatched him from an egg my friend dug up. He's awesome and I love him. The problem is that he got sick a couple of weeks ago and his eyes crusted over with conjunctivitis.

T_T

I suspect he contracted something from the water that was left standing in his enclosure one time when it rained. I keep him indoors at all times now. The enclosure set-up is fine, I know that he's happy in there. I was just wondering if you have had any experiences dealing w/ a sick cuban anole, specifically with conjunctivitis. Thank you in advance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.