This Disappears When Logged In

Crushed Baby Lizard Leg (western Fence Lizard)

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Karmiical, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Karmiical

Karmiical Member

Alrighty. So yesterday my dog got ahold of a baby blue belly, the little lizard is only around 1 1/2 inch. My dog managed to bite off its tail and crush its leg. The leg is literally mangled. I put him in a critter keeper with eco earth cocnut fiber substrate that I use for my chameleon, i plan on moving him to a 10 gallon today. He moves around every once and awhile to get comfortable but thats about it. Is there anything I should do about his leg..?

Attached Files:

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Hi, sorry you didn't get a response sooner, everyone was like!Ely busy with the holiday. Unless you are willing to take it to a vet, there is little you can do for it. Although the tail will grow back in time, between the leg and the likelihood of internal injuries, the chances are probably not good.

3. Karmiical

Karmiical Member

He actually passed away yesterday :( I managed to snag his 4 siblings though! My dog managed to get a hold of another baby but he only lost his tail and will be fine. Once they get a tiny bit bigger, i will be letting them all go at this huge garden place that has tons of other fence lizards and insects :)

4. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

If they are not taking tiny crickets or fruit flies you may want to release them sooner than later. They need to put on a lot of weight after hatching to survive the winter.

5. Karmiical

Karmiical Member

The four are all eating fine! Im actually keeping one of them; Adina. She has a back issue right now though thats making me worried cause i havent a clue on what it is :(

6. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Are you dusting the food? These guys require a lot of nutrition while growing. I've noticed the first thing to be visible in malnutrition are back issues.

7. Karmiical

Karmiical Member

Yeah, i've been dusting their food with supps for weeks now. The bump hasnt gotten any better