This Disappears When Logged In

Critter Condos Question?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by switchitup813, Jul 12, 2012.

1. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

It depends on how much he basks. Typically it's recommended to have UVB run the length of the enclosure so that it've easily available. You can also have shaded areas, etc. in case your beardie doesn't want that light. I would consider mounting the UVB along the back half way up or something to fan the UVB rays over an larger area...but again it depends on your particular layout and dragon. I know that didn't seem helpful, but you know your dragon and what he likes and where he goes.

2. DragonsKeepers

He's asking if he only needs UVB at the basking spot.

3. switchitup813

switchitup813 Elite Member

Yeah, it looks smaller because of the way I took the image lol. And that big food bowl ;)

Yeah, my beardie loves to bask alot so I shouldn't have a problem there.

I am also considering just cutting the platform down so its not so tall and he may feel even safer when he goes underneath it.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I use a UVB tube that takes up the majority of my length! I use either a 36" or 48" for my 55" long enclosure, I also have several different heights for basking and areas to cool off and hide if she wants. Having the proper heat gradient is very important, some days my girl will be on the highest part and later on she will move down to cool off, but its good to give them the different levels and let them decide where they want to go.

Did you check out our care sheet? Full of great information :)

5. switchitup813

Yeah, I have been a beardie owner for a little over 3 years :) Your guide has helped me from the very beginning.
    I am going to try to get the 36" tube for the 48"L enclosure.

I think I am going to go with the 18" tall enclosure so my beardie can get the effects of UVB more all over the cage than if I got a 24" tall cage. I will just trim down that big basking spot I made since its Styrofoam.

6. DragonsKeepers

Is there a way to order without the UVB fixture?

7. CoolStoryBro

CoolStoryBro Member

You don't keep your crickets in your enclosure over night do you??

8. switchitup813

I will have to ask, why?

No Way!

9. DragonsKeepers

I would still encourage you to look at lightyourreptiles.com for the Arcadia bulbs - much better UVB.

10. switchitup813

They have some awkward sizes lol. Which one do you recommend for my beardie?

11. DragonsKeepers

For what you're looking at, the 34" 12% desert high output. The fixture that goes with it has a nice built in reflector too. Three bulbs will last an year between change outs instead of the typical six months. I have two 34" and one 46". If the inside dimensions of that cage are 48", you could even go with the bigger 46" one. My dragons (two beardies and a CWD) are much more active under the Arcadia bulbs than they were under the Zilla and Zoo Med.

12. switchitup813

Well I am using the repti sun. I hear these are excellent as well. Am I wrong?

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The Reptisuns are fine and have been a staple of the hobby for years.
    You misunderstand. At 12 inches there is very little to no useable UVB from a fluorescent. The animal needs to be able to get within 6-8 inches of the tube.

14. switchitup813

I understand, I am definitely getting the 18" one.

15. switchitup813

You see how I have my lights set up. The UVB along the back with the heat bulb in a bit and they are over lapping. The basking spot is on the corner of that platform.
    Now the critter condo said that I can customize where they put all the light fixtures. Do you think I should set the lights up the same or do you recommend a different way?

Attached Files: