This Disappears When Logged In

Crickets in Florida?

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Wolfbandit, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Wolfbandit

Wolfbandit Elite Member

Hey guys. My supplier who I normally order from is apparently closing down their website/business (judging by the lack of options opposed to when I first started buying from them a year ago) and so I need to find another cricket supplier. I'd like to order from someone in Florida, because well, shipping is normally cheaper. Also, it'd be nice to find a supplier who sends me the RIGHT sized crickets instead of about three sizes too small.

Any ideas?

Also, I was wondering if there was a simple and effective method to breeding these bad boys? I don't really want to go out of my way to do so (because I'm hoping to get into roaches/mealworms for my lizards) but it'd be nice to have a little something going.

2. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Florida has a blanket ban on all species of cockroach excepting Blaberus discoidalis. Even those are hard to get, because most companies don't want to risk it.

You can breed crickets quite easily if you can tolerate the noise and the smell. When I lived in Florida, I usually got my crickets at a bait shop, where they were larger, and much cheaper than the pet shop.

4. Wolfbandit

Wolfbandit Elite Member

That was where I used to get mine, but since I've moved, I can't find anywhere. I did find a feed store that sold crickets, but they wanted THIRTY DOLLARS (+tax) for a box of 1000 crickets. I laughed and said no thanks >>

As for the roaches, there are a couple of people I've been talking to about selling some to me. One is actually a breeder in Miami, so they won't even have to cross state lines. =]

Could you give me any directions (links, videos?) on how to breed crickets?

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Here is an article on how to build a cricket breeder. At the bottom of that page is an article on how to breed them. enjoy :)

Build A Cricket Keeper

6. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

Yeah, i still ordered from them. My last order... i was very unhappy with. I bought a 1000 crickets... and they lasted me two weeks... many of them were dying unexpectly... and overall quality of the crickets were horrible. I guess ill stick to 500 crickets every 2 weeks from that site. Unless i can find another site that others use that is good..