This Disappears When Logged In

Cricket Death

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Hisharleyquinn, May 14, 2018.

1. This is the second time this has happened. I threw about 2 dozen large crickets in my beardies encloser. First time he ate about 15 and I left the rest in their overnight so he can eat them first thing. The next morning all the crickets were dead. Today I put the same amount in, he ate 15 again and 7 hours later there is only 2 survivors, I saw a couple twitching. What is going on???

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Strange. All I have to offer is that you should not be dumping large amounts of crickets in there. Crickets can bite your Dragon. And enough of them can actually kill it.

3. He's a big boy, he's fine

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, it has nothing to do with the dragon`s size, the crickets can chew at the lizard as it rests/sleeps.

5. Merlin

No, it has nothing to do with the size of the lizard. I used to work in the wholesale pet trade.
    Occasionally a lizard would get loose and end up in the cricket bin. By morning it would be stripped to a skeleton.

6. He's fine. I was asking about the cricket genocide. Thanks though

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think it would be more accurate to say "he`s fine for now".
    As far as the crickets dying, what are the conditions in the enclosure?

oakensiren likes this.
  8. Again he's fine. Thanks. I'll ask somewhere else about crickets all of the sudden dying. When I need to ask if I should leave maybe 10 crickets in his cage overnight, I'll ask here

9. Plus leaving them in overnight apparently doesn't matter because if you read, they died in about 7 hours after I got them.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`ll ask again; what are the conditions in the enclosure?

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

No need to be sarcastic, madam...

oakensiren likes this.
  12. No need to tell me something when it isn't what I asked pal

13. Merlin

We're just trying to head off another issue.

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Twice I asked for details of the enclosure in order to determine if the conditions were in some way responsible for the crickets dying in a relatively short space of time, so far the OP has declined to offer that information?

15. Hey. I have this thing called a life. I asked a question in the beginning and it was skipped over plenty of times. Do i need to call you out too?

Maybe when you're running a site that's supposed to be helpful, answer the damn question that's asked.

Basking is 109

Cool side is 86

50 gallon tank

Corkwood hide

Reptile hammock

Currently changing his substrate as I type this.

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Running a site, which site am I running?

17. Look who's not answering questions now

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The cool side temp is much too hot, how are you measuring it and what`s the humidity range (again purely to try and determine the cause of cricket deaths).
    Do not insult me again madam, I have no other reason to respond other than to try and HELP.

oakensiren likes this.
  19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

A few photos of the whole enclosure will be helpful, can you put them up (including a top view) and details of the heat/lighting used?

20. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Where did you buy them? Were there some dead already when you dumped them in? What substrate are you using?
    I haven't had much success with crickets either, they seem to die easily. I prefer to use dubias whenever possible.