This Disappears When Logged In

Cricket Bite on Albino Leopard Gecko

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by Penelope, Mar 17, 2010.

1. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, will your camera take a close up shot of her head, even though she is so tiny? Thanks!

2. Penelope

Penelope Well-Known Member

That is the closest we could get with it not being blurry. Sorry. It is actually starting to heal and she is more active then she has been in the last few days.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

That`s o.k, I was just trying to get a close-up shot to try and see the pineal eye, but I think a microscope would be needed for that!

4. Penelope

Penelope Well-Known Member

One of the other members said that Geckos do not have a pineal eye... luckily since that is about where the bite is. :) Thank you for your help!

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

To the absolute best of my knowledge, geckos DO have the pineal eye, I thought at the beginning that might have been what it was, but obviously, it`sooo difficult to tell without a close-up shot!

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Stefan and I have actually been discussing that. He says that they do but I have never seen any reputable sources that says they do.
    So the jury is still out on that one.
    Either way a pineal eye would only be a spot with scales over it. It isn't an eye in the way that we generally think of it but just a light sensing organ.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It`s a useful discussion whoever turns out to be correct, but it must be said, it really isn`t that easy to see such a small organ in these tiny lizards, and if it turns out not to be a bite, at least his head won`t be injured by applying the medication, and as always, safe rather than sorry!

8. nicky

nicky New Member

my wife just descovered the same problem with our crest gecko, I too killed the crickets for hurting my boy. he has a bad wound on his nose and his jaw is drooping. my wife put some crickets in his tank and some time in the last 48 hrs. he stared to shed and had troubles and so he had limited movment and they ganged up on him. my wife found him with three crickets on him and woke me up. I cleaned off all the dead skin and cleaned out his wound the best I could, but I could really use some advise too cause he is REALLY thin. I force feed him some baby food but I don't think he got enough and now he just sits on the paper towels with his mouth open looking like he wants to attack something.

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The best advice is a vet visit, apart from that, as you`ve learned, don`t leave crickets etc in the tank for extended periods, certainly not overnight. If he`s shedding, he may refuse food. Do you have a couple of photos, and what are the temps, humidity, etc?

10. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Those darn crickets do bite, I was feeding mine our tarantulas crickets (big ones) and they were always after our smaller one, so I make sure I'm always there when they are being fed. Since then I've been giving mine small crickets that are no bigger than there head. One of our geckos is more aggressive than the other and he has no problem but the other is less aggressive and when I feed him I take out the other gecko and remove everything in the habitat except the water, then I remove the crickets hind legs so he is much slower. He likes to have a big drink of water before he goes for the kill.
    Sorry to hear that your little guy got hurt, hope he's better soon.

mld

11. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

How long has he gone without food? Was he eating and pooping regularly before this shed? The jaw drooping is worrisome - I echo murrindindi and suggest a vet visit.

Also a good run down of the enclosure (all the details) would be very helpful.

You can try mealworms for food - they don't bite and if you want can place them in a small glass container and they stay put (won't wander the tank - making it easier for the gecko to find and eat).