This Disappears When Logged In

Cricket Bite on Albino Leopard Gecko

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by Penelope, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Penelope

Penelope Well-Known Member

My gecko has a bite from a cricket(s) on her head (large) and on her one foot. What is the best way to care for this?

2. Penelope

Oh, she is a baby, about 4" long and we feed her the pin-head crickets. But two were larger (normal size) and I believe they are the ones that ganged up on her. Needless to say, I had to squish them. I know that could be considered mean, but they hurt my baby.

3. jaykpix

jaykpix New Member

You did the right thing by squishing them. I'm sorry, but I have no experience with geckos, so I don't know how to advise you on that aspect. Probably keep it rinsed. I know you can use antibiotic creams on snakes (as long as they don't have the pain-killer), so that might be an option. CHECK WITH A MORE EXPERIENCED PERSON before you do that, though. I have -no- clue on geckos.

4. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

keep the areas clean,you can use neosporin, NOT the pain relieving type
    Do you use substrate? If so it would be best to go with papertowels, this will keep anything from sticking to the wounds. Please remember to keep this from happening , only leave the crickets in the enclosure until your little one is done eating. Good luck :)

5. Penelope

Thank you both. I did notice some substrate on it and tried to remove it with a Q-tip and water...and got most of it. I will try the paper towels and neosporin.

AGAIN, thank you!

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

most substrate is harmful to the gecko anyway. your best bet is to get either reptile carpet or to have just paper towels. How long have you had your gecko?

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What do you mean buy "Large"? Are you talking about swollen or a gaping wound?

8. Penelope

We have had her just under one month. I have been doing online research for her care since I was totally confused by what the pet stores were telling me. One even tried to get me to buy 3 different lights and buy sand. I am so glad that I found this forum!!!

Her bite is maybe the size of a pencil eraser, flat, but looks like a bite, and red. But the red could be that she is albino. It is not swollen, oozing and does not have any puss. It does have 3 tiny pieces of substrate in it that I am trying to clean off and I hope to ward off infection by switching to paper towels and using neosporin.

9. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Penelope,
    is she housed with any other animals? How long were the crickets in her enclosure? Sounds like an aweful big wound for crickets.

10. Penelope

No, she is the only animal. We fed her the 2 crickets on Sunday night. I did not check on her - beside peaking in her home until Tuesday. In the meantime, my daughter gave her water and noticed the problem, but she thought I knew about it and did not mention it. So, it happened sometime between Sunday night and Tuesday. Neither of the crickets were eaten, so they had that time to munch on her. We were told just to throw 4-6 crickets in twice a week, so that is what we have been doing. We never see her eat, but after a few days the crickets are usually gone. There is nothing sharp in her tank that could have caused it and she has a tiny "bite" on one foot. Then, I had read that crickets can bite your babies...so I assume that is what happened. I hope this does not make her afraid to eat them again since she won't eat mealworms.

11. Penelope

Correction: Feed her Monday night, not Sunday.

12. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

although I know crickets will bite reptiles, I do not know what a bite looks like, so I was just curious if anything else might have gotten to her :) I only leave food items in the cage until whichever animal I am feeding no longer shows interest in the prey, usually 10 min. or so. Hope this helps

13. Penelope

No problem. All information is very much appreciated. My brain hurts from reading all the research today, reading the care sheet, and learning so much more from this forum. Thanks again.

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Is it possible to post a close up photo of the bite. What you are describing sounds like it may be infected.

15. Penelope

I will get some up here in a bit. Thanks.

16. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Heres a suggestion or two. First one its a baby leo correct? They will take small crickets 1/4 inch in size. The pin heads to me would just seem to cause to much of a hassle. Let alone having to feed a ton to the guy lol. Another one is to try some mealworms in a dish where they cant crawl out.

17. Penelope

Merlin, here is the best picture I could get of her. Also, it is amazing how much more active she is since we put the neosporin on her, took all the substrate out, and just put in paper towels. However, I gave her 3 mealworms and she just looks at them. Oh, and I measured her... she is actually only 3 inches from head to tip of tail. I guess she is younger then they led us to believe. A pin head cricket is the size equal to the expanse between her eyes.

Okay, how do I make my picture into a URL to post it???

18. Penelope

[​IMG]
    Okay, figured it out. It looks wet because it has neosporin on it.

19. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Actually, small crickets are what she is eating. A pin head cricket is just that, the size of a pin head. About 1/16" in total length. Glad your leo ate the meal worms.

No idea on the injury to the head. But keep up with the neosporin and it should heal up.

20. Penelope

How funny. They call them pin heads here- so that is good to know. Thanks for the help.