This Disappears When Logged In

crested gecks

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus' started by iam_a_legend06, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iam_a_legend06

iam_a_legend06 Well-Known Member

I would like to know about crested geckos, I have done some research on the web but would like to know about personal experience.

2. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

What would you like to know? I love my crested gecko. He is fun to watch, and is awesome to hold...he feels like suede ...very soft...and he is comical to watch when hunting....

3. iam_a_legend06

Do you need any heating equipment? What do they prefer to eat? Stuff along those lines.

4. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

I keep my tank in the mid to upper 70s..with a heating pad and 40 watt red bulb..they dont seem to like extreme heat. Of course they are nocturnal, so he hunts and night and is hidden during the day...I use baby fruit mixed with crested gecko diet every night and he gets crickets every other day....usually 1/2 a dozen or so medium ones....

5. HoanIsMyBallPython

HoanIsMyBallPython Elite Member

heres a link

I found a link that mite help answer your question :D

Crested geckos

6. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

I have a crestie and really enjoy him (actually, he's starting to look like a she...). I created a planted viv for him, which he seems to enjoy, and I really enjoyed the process of building it. I don't use any heat source, and just keep him at room temp, but I did add a Mega-Ray low-UV bulb to his setup. They don't have high UV needs (some sources say they don't need any), but I figured it would help the plants, and it wouldn't hurt him, as he is nocturnal and sleeps in the shade -- and I read that some folks feel that UV can be beneficial to cresties. My little guy is a trouble-maker, and will only eat his crickets. But he loooves hunting them, and waits in the same spot on a branch in his tank every night, when he knows that crickets will magically fall from the heavens, lol. If he turns out to be a she, I am thinking of getting another female to live in the tank as well. But I'm going to wait until I can be absolutely positive.

7. iam_a_legend06

I think I may have to venture in this direction, in the near future. Are they easy to care for and are they easily tamed?

8. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Very easy to care for. For mine, I mist the tank once or twice a day and feed crickets every evening. As for taming, they can be a bit skittish, but with consistent gentle handling, I think most cresties can be handled. Mine likes to poop on me though, lol!

9. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

I agree with Amy. Cresties are quite easy and adorable...they dont dash off like some geckos can...its more of leaps and bounds....I have often ended up with Coco (my crestie) on my nose LOL...

here is a pic of Coco...

Attached Files:

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Now THATS a picture I would like to see!

11. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

I dont use any heat on my single male. Arcuard, he is the devil, bit me on the nose once lol. He isnt tame. but i have handled him one time i waws cleaning his tank. I feed him baby food and crickets. Have little solo cups full of baby food in the freezer and i just tanke them out and he gobbles it up when thawed lol.

12. iam_a_legend06

would it be possible to keep them in a wooden viv or is the humidity to high and willcause rot oh and the gecko looked lovely

13. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

The high humidity would cause it to warp and mold faster than with glass. Youll have to ask someone else about that though. I use the exo terra cages. You can also use a 10 gallon, a 10 gallon inverted, and Sterlites.

14. iam_a_legend06

cool cool i may use a larger plastic cage thing i cant remember what theyre called as about 1ftx1ftx1.5ft

15. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

So it has come down to this... knowing from a gecko that you have a huge nose ;)

Reptillia06, read a good caresheet and a lot of your questions will go away.

16. iam_a_legend06

and so i will

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.