This Disappears When Logged In

Crested Gecko Tips

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus' started by bdoink, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdoink

bdoink Elite Member

I really want to add a new addition to my collection. I already have all the snakes I want (for now). Plus 2 Pacmans. The little ornate just got back from the vet with worms and is a little upset that he is now on paper towels and has me bothering him everyday to give his cage a good cleaning. But he'll be back on his coconut fiber soon enough.
    Anyways, I keep looking back to lizards. I don't want anything that gets too big, but also gets to be a decent size. I finally came across the Crested Gecko and I think they are gorgeous. I researched them a bit more and I have to ask... are these guys really that simple? I've read that they require no heat source, are very docile, and their dietary needs can be delivered by grabbing some crickets and a can of baby food! If this is true, I have found the perfect pet.
    In any case, I'm definitely checking out the Crested Geckos at a nearby reptile show next week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to have a habitat set up before I purchase but I'm not even 100% sure on what I'd need. Would I want a glass enclosure or one of those mesh ones? What substrate works best for them? Do they exhibit any behavior I might not have read about?

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

These guys are pretty simple. It was one of the things that drew me to them as well.

As long as you can maintain a temp somewhere between 65 and 80 then no, they do not need a heat source. But keep in mind, that they will not do well with temps above 80. You should still have a light for them, or at least in a room that gets enough ambient light that they have a good day/night cycle. Baby food alone isn't really a great diet for them. There is a lot of sugar in it that they don't need. But, there is a crested gecko diet specially made for them that all you have to do is add a little water to the powder and you're done. Some cresties will enjoy crickets, some won't.

YAY! This is the way to do it!

Glass would be better because they do need some humidity. But you would want to cover at least the back and maybe even 2 of the sides. They are arboreal and want height to climb. Some even won't eat if their food is on the ground. The will need lots of things to climb on and hide behind. 25 gal tank is a good size, but like we always say - bigger is always better.

I personally use the shredded cocoa husk to help with humidity.

Why not have a look at our caresheet and then let us know if you have anymore questions.
    http://www.herpcenter.com/crested-gecko-caresheet.html

3. tink

tink Elite Member

Mine has this thing about coco husk! She deff won't go to the bottem and touch it if it's in there. She tip toes and gets all ticked off. Lol. So I have a layer of it for humidity then carpet on top.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.