This Disappears When Logged In

Crested Gecko Setup

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by BlueCardinalArtist, Nov 13, 2011.

1. BlueCardinalArtist

BlueCardinalArtist Well-Known Member

Well, I'm going to get a crested gecko or two in December, and would like to know how to properly set up the cage. i have a 21x21x18 exoterra glass terrarium and have a few questions.

Would it be ok to have UVB lightbulbs i nthe enclosure?

IS it a good idea to put moss in the setup? because the dead kind keeps in bacteria.

Would it also be a good idea to keep a water dish in the setup?

What kind of bedding should i use? I've used bark before but it can cause impaction and coconut fibers can casue eye infections.

2. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

I use uv-b lights during the day in mine because I keep live plants. I use Eco-Earth as substrate (never had eye problems with any of my reptiles kept on it), and don't use a water bowl. I mist often, though, and they drink the water droplets off of leaves and glass. A water bowl won't hurt, though.

3. backwoodsgecko

backwoodsgecko Elite Member

UV lights should be okay as long as they don't put out too much heat.

Moss would be fine. Damp moss could help to keep the humidity up in the enclosure.

A water dish is a good idea in my opinion. I have some cresteds who use one.

I house mine on damp paper towels. I've never had a problem with coconut fiber soil. If you use loose substrate such as peat or coconut fiber, I recommend feeding your geckos insects outside of their enclosure so they don't ingest the substrate.

4. BlueCardinalArtist

alright thanks!

5. BlueCardinalArtist

i finally fixed it up. i have two large sticks for climbing, and a third one that has a large hiding spot underneathe it. I have two dish's and laid down coconut fiber and reptile bark along with some rocks.

6. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

I would stay away from reptile bark because of impaction issues. If the rocks are large enough to not be swallowed, those should be fine. The smaller the particulate substrate, the better, just in case they do ingest it they can pass it. I like organic potting soil and peat moss combo, but coco fiber should work.

Water bowls are a good idea, as dehydration is a common affliction in captive reptiles. I see many of mine drinking from them and sometimes soaking their vents.

7. BlueCardinalArtist

yeah, i don't want to risk inpaction, so i'll have a smaller fedding zone or cage set up soon hopefully.