This Disappears When Logged In

Crested Gecko Questions

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus' started by bobberly1, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobberly1

bobberly1 Elite Member

I'm getting some Cresteds on the fourth, and I have a few questions. First off, if I use the Repashy food, do I need to dust the lobster roaches I'll soon get? Also, if two different color varieties breed, are the results usually favorable? Finally, is a 20-gallon long, which is much easier to use for various reasons, good for 3 of them? If not, I'll go with a 30 long. Thanks for the help.

2. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Crested need more height to their tanks. ExoTerras work great for them. Costly I know. If nothing else you can make a custom plywood cage that would work for half of the cost. Also they can be raised solely on the Repashy food. You really won't have to dust them. Since the food you're feeding will have all the vitamins and minerals in it for their needs.

The colors would depend on what you breed together. Cause with Crested Geckos there are several different things that you could get.

3. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

I agree. Crested Geckos like more height. Mine spend most of their time at the top of the enclosure. They only come to ground level to hunt and feed.

I keep mine on a diet of crickets and spiked baby food.

4. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

For 3, I would suggest a 29-gal done vertically. It's not too hard to do, only cost about $40 extra to do the modification and it looks great.

If you feed them anything live you should dust with calcium.

5. bobberly1

bobberly1 Elite Member

I see. I'm at least going to start them off in a 30 G, which is 18" high, long enough to sustain them for a while. I'd build a cage, but with the winter coming humidity could be a problem and I really prefer a fish tank, which I already have available.

Thanks!

6. MoogleBass

[​IMG]
    Got bored and sketched this up. Wouldn't take much, and would hold the humidity in for you too. Measures 30 tall, 28 inches wide, and 28 inches deep. I put 2 areas at the top for lights, a heat light and a uv light. You could always do it with just one light.

7. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

For cresties you would probably only need one light, and a low wattage one at that. (as long as you don't keep your house temp in the 50's... :))

8. MoogleBass

Yeah, I know. I just forgot when I made it.

I have some good ideas. I should make some.

9. bobberly1

bobberly1 Elite Member

Wow!:eek: What'd you make that with? That's really cool! They don't need UVB though, right?

10. fire2225ems

No they don't need UVB. Most people use the lights more for the plants and to make sure there is a clear day/night cycle.

11. MoogleBass

I used google sketchup.

12. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Or you could go with a 37 gallon tank. It's the footprint of the 29, but it adds height.

13. bobberly1

bobberly1 Elite Member

Is SketchUp easy to use?

Also, any general tips about these that you won't find in caresheets? That tends to be the case with pets. I'm very interested in handling so anything about that would be great.

Thanks!

14. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

They can be picky about what CGD you use so be prepared to try a few out if they don't like what you first give them.

15. fire2225ems

Don't make up a lot of Crested Gecko Diet either, I only make up about a total of 1/4 tsp and less than half of that gets eaten by mine.

Some like to be handled and others not so much.

Also one thing that surprises people is that once they reach an adult maturity they don't need their tails as much so they sometimes just drop them. Don't be surprised if that happens.

16. MoogleBass

I make half of the bag and freeze it.

17. fire2225ems

I've gone back to the T-Rex. Skif seems to like it better and it's easier to get and make up.

18. bobberly1

bobberly1 Elite Member

:( I like the tails. Well, if it happens it happens.

You guys are awesome! Help's pourin' in from all sides!

19. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

I now have 8 Crested Geckos (2 adults and the rest are hatched from their eggs, ranging from 1 year to 1 month).

I have never used the commercial Crested Gecko Diet. I have nothing against it and I know it works equally well as "fresh" food, but I just never got around to buying any.

We feed all the cresties baby food (peaches, pears, all the smooth fruit kind), we add calcium and vitamins to the baby food and offer every other day. They usually finish all of that (a milk cap full for each creastie). On top of that we feed gut loaded crickets 2 times a week, usually as many as they can eat.

We kept the adults on low level UV for a long time. I'm not convinced it helped at all, but it certainly didn't hurt. Afterall, in their natural environment they are exposed to low levels of UV coming through the canopy. But, now none of them have UV.

These are my favorite lizards because they exist in the same temperature that we do. Heat WILL hurt them, so they need no heat source. To me, this is so much more enjoyable than the hot house my iguana has to exist in.

Just my 2 cents!

20. bobberly1

bobberly1 Elite Member

So if my basement hangs around the mid to high 60's for the winter I shouldn't put a 60 watt light on one side?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.