This Disappears When Logged In

Crested Gecko Help. Kinked Tail on Proper Diet??

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by LillithTheSpider, Nov 14, 2014.

1. LillithTheSpider

LillithTheSpider Active Member

Hello, I am really stumped right now. A few weeks ago I discovered that my two crested geckos (one is a tiny baby) have been getting kinks in their tails. Its slight, but it looks almost wavy. I know this is an early sign of MBD....but the weird thing is...I feed my geckos very high quality Crested Gecko Diet. Specifically Pangea and Rapashy Super Food. I also feed the occasional dubia roach as a treat. Why are my geckos getting MBD? Ever since I noticed I've been mixing calcium into their food, but I am now worried sick. What am I doing wrong? Should I be doing something more then just adding more calcium to the diet? Will their tails straighten out? =( Please help.

2. AZgeckos

AZgeckos Member

I'm certainly no expert but I care for a couple of crested geckos and remember at some point in my research reading about... Gosh darn it I can't remember what it was actually called! But basically, sometimes geckos that spend most of their day sleeping on vertical surfaces, head pointing down with the tail pointing up, can sometimes lose some of the structure in their tail and it will flop over to the side.
    So perhaps (hopefully) it's not a nutritional deficiency at all? Could be this other "floppy tail" thing. Perhaps look into that, but someone here is bound to know more about this and can help you out more than this.

3. LillithTheSpider

I wish it was floppy tail but i have never witnessed either of my geckos in this position. actually they seem to have trouble sticking to vertical surfaces most of the time...another potential sign of MBD...I just don't get how thats possible with the diet they are on.

4. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Are they from the same clutch??

5. LillithTheSpider

No...One I got from a breeder at a repticon. She is only a few months old. The other is a sub adult who a friend gave me. The friend got the gecko from Petsmart, however this was months and months ago and he did not have any tail issues. I wonder if it could be a parasite issue...maybe some kind of parasite is sapping away most of their nutrition? May have to go to a vet

6. LillithTheSpider

Things are worse then I thought. I checked Avery today (the older of the two) and he is dehydrated. His skin is wrinkly and isn't snapping back. I immediately soaked him in some water and then spoon fed him his crested gecko diet, infused with calcium like I have been doing every night. He licks it off his nose pretty well and he is very enthusiastic about bugs. (he is like a rabid bull dog...nearly took off my finger.)

Again, I don't know why he is dehydrated =( I house him in a large plastic bin with lots of air holes. Paper towel substrate that is slightly damp, lots of climbing toys, and I spray him every night and mid-day. ...This is baffling and upsetting me. He isn't lethargic and is active...but I don't want this to get worse. I need to nip this in the butt now. I also noticed that his poop is a bit watery. It is mostly solid, but it comes out along with this clear liquid. Is this normal? My other geckos have completely solid stool, no watery part.

7. Logan

Logan Elite Member

I'm unsure about cresties, but I would say its time for a vet visit. If they're housed together and this issue didn't start until you got the younger one, its very possibly something communicable. Like parasites. Or a disease/virus.

8. LillithTheSpider

Fortunately they have different housing. The baby seems to be fine. She has a kink in her tail, but she is hydrated..though having trouble sticking to things. She's in a small critter keeper. I will start looking for local exotic vets. recently moved to a new state and county...i hope there is one around

9. Logan

Logan Elite Member

There's a vet section on here. Might have one listed in your area.

Also, some things are airborne. And some can be transferred by you from handling and cleanings.

10. LillithTheSpider

Update: Avery is going to the vet today at 4:30. He is still active and eating, but dehydrated. No matter what I do. So to the vets. I checked his calcium sacks and they are looking nice and full. He also bit my finger a few times trying to get roaches, and his jaw feels nice and strong...at the expense of my finger lol. So I am glad his jaw isn't mushy =)

The baby crested, Bean is doing fine. She is active, hydrated, and I'm not too concerned about her at this point in time.

11. LillithTheSpider

Update: Got back from the vets. Apparently, Avery's cage was poisoning him. The plastic of the bin was making him sick. I have since switched him to a glass ten gallon tank. Hopefully we will get better with the change. I guess plastic bins aren't the best option :(

12. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Umm... I'm not so sure I'd believe that. TONS of people keep their reptiles in bins. Snake racks are made just for that purpose. I myself have kept Toothless and Spike in several sterilite and rubber made bins. Its a cheap way to start little guys that bet bigger while you build the big enclosures. I've never heard of a lizard getting sick from one.

And, people who don't keep them in them all the time often use them as water dishes..

13. LillithTheSpider

Thats true...maybe it depends on the brand? =( I'm not sure, the brand i was using was sterilite. and it DOES have a strong plastic smell to it. Are there bins to avoid and bins that are safe? I made the switch anyway just in case. These problems did start when I switched him to a sterilite bin.

The whole reason I chose a bin for him was because so many people have success with it. I wonder what went wrong. Other then that she said everything else on my care was fine.

14. Logan

Logan Elite Member

So weird. None of the ones I have ever have a smell to them. Is it clear or colored??

15. LillithTheSpider

It is a semi clear bin. Thick plastic, somewhat pliable.

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I suspect that you need a new vet!
    I as well as hundreds of keepers have used sterilite bins for decades!

17. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

I too have quite a few reptiles in plastic bins, including half a dozen ball pythons and a couple green tree pythons in sterilite brand bins, and most of the rest of my snakes in plastic of some sort. Now if there is a strong smell, there could indeed be an issue, but unless your vet had you switch based on the smell rather than jjst the fact that it's plastic, your vet is wrong. Period. Now you may want to wash your bin with dish soap and then rinse it with a mild bleach solution, then clean water, and let it air a bit to get rid of any smell. If that doesn't get rid of the smell then that particular tub may have an issue.

18. LillithTheSpider

this is terrible.....this is the only vet around here who sees reptiles -.- she never saw the bin, she just knows its plastic. I did start to question her credibility when she said I should have a heat source for a crested gecko kept in a room that is often between 77 and 79 degrees constant. but i gave her the benefit of the doubt.

19. LillithTheSpider

She also never heard of dubia roaches and looked horrified that i fed them to my pets. :/ I'm not a inexperienced keeper. I have a lot of healthy animals, and do TONS of research. if I know more then the vet does, thats not good.

I looked for another vet that does purely exotics. Birds and Exotics Animal Care in South Caroline. Its 2 and a half hours away from me.

I bought syringes and an electrolyte supplement to get him rehydrated. If he does not improve within a week with the new tank and fluids. I am making the road trip. Thank God that vet didn't charge me for the visit.

20. Logan

Logan Elite Member

It surprises me the vet didn't ask for a stool sample just to check for parasites...