This Disappears When Logged In

Crayfish Feeding?

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Sulikfish, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Sulikfish

Sulikfish Member

Hey guys, does anyone here feed crayfish to their lizards? I've fed a few to my water monitor and basilisk and they both seem to love them. My question is do they actually have any nutritional value, and are there any risks to feeding excessive amounts?

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, crayfish are fine to feed to monitors especially, and I imagine they are o.k for other animal protein eating lizards if they`ll take them, they are a nourishing meal.
    Just for the sake of asking, can you show a few photos of the monitor and basilisk along with their enclosures? Thanks!

Sulikfish likes this.
  3. Sulikfish

Sulikfish Member

Not finished yet, still deciding what to do for the water feature and need to add more plants and a few other things. Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

Atroxus likes this.
  4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photos, do you have any of the Water monitor`s enclosure?
    As you`ve said you haven`t finished the water feature in the Basilisk tank, I just want to mention that it would be advisable to heat the water to around 27c (80f) or so (I think you probably know that, but just in case other readers don`t know).

5. Sulikfish

Sulikfish Member

Yes I do plan on heating the water but thank you. I don't have a pic of the water monitor enclosure, I can grab one later though. He's currently in a 3' x 18" x 3' exo-terra with a sealed top (for the humidity), about 10 inches of bedding, his basking brick is about 120f and an additional basking branch around 135f when he wants it. Humidity ranges from 75%-90%. I'm fully aware that this is not adequate housing for him as far as size and the glass (I've read all of your posts:)). I should have his new enclosure finished by the end of the month at the latest. He or she is also about 14 inches long including tail.