This Disappears When Logged In

Crack Sealer?

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by easttxchevygal, Aug 19, 2011.

1. easttxchevygal

easttxchevygal Elite Member

What is a safe sealant to use to repair a broke place on a reptile enclosure? I got an enclosure for free but it has a piece that has come out. I'm going to disinfect it with bleach water but I wanted to know what sealant was the safest? The enclosure will be holding a sand boa eventually.

2. goldenjade

goldenjade Active Member

You could try a 100% silicone aquarium sealant. Another option is going to a local hardware store and finding silicone sealant...the only catch is to make sure it does NOT include the new anti-mildew compounds. These are toxic to fish and reptiles.

3. easttxchevygal

Ok thank you! I also thought of installing screen over it since it's going to be a sand boa enclosure and needs a lower humidity. Its about a 4 inch place that runs the entire length on the end of one side. Would that be good also? And could I use the same sealant?

4. goldenjade

goldenjade Active Member

Are you attaching the screen to glass? I'm not sure how well that will work. I know some people that are Do-it-yourself-ers...make refugium tanks for inside a running aquarium using just screen and aquarium sealant so it might work. Although I am not sure about the mesh screen sealed to glass. You would think it would work.

I would suggest trying a test run using a small piece of screen and glass. Give that a try using the sealant and attaching it to glass.

Let that cure and see how well it attaches.

If it works then you've got it. Otherwise I guess another solution is needed.

5. easttxchevygal

Yea I was wondering how strong the screen to the glass would be. I was figuring it wouldn't work. Even though im just putting a Kenyan sand boa in it I still don't want to take any chances if it pushing a spot open and hurting itself. I think ill just stick with the old part of the tank going back in its place. The people who had it had it sealed back together but in my shuffling and heavy duty cleaning I popped it back out.

6. Johnny

Johnny Elite Member

I bet you'd be just fine using silicone to seal the screen to the glass, but I would suggest using another piece of glass/acrylic/thin plywood to sandwich the screen's edges between the glass and this second piece to make sort of like a rim. I know female sand boas can get pretty hefty for their size and while the silicone alone will hold the screen, you'd probably sleep a little safer with the added security.

7. easttxchevygal

Thanks Johnny! That's a good idea. Im only concerned is the snakes well being but my hubby is worried about his and our other pets well being lol. Im going to go for a male so it won't be so shocking for my hubby lol. He's a bit if a scared cat!!

8. Johnny

Johnny Elite Member

No sweat, glad I could be helpful. Haha, the males are probably the smallest snakes I'd ever seen, so hopefully he can handle those, 'cause there are none I can think of that look quite so harmless. Hope it all turns out well, good luck!