This Disappears When Logged In

Couple Questions on DIY Misting System

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by Andyc3020, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I'm getting ready to build one of the DIY misting systems using PVC and a humidifier for my timor monitor.

I have a couple general questions. I know I will have to fine tune it to my specific enclosure, but maybe you can help get me started.

Where should the mist be released in to enclosure? Top? Bottom? Middle?

How often does it need to be on and for how long? I will be putting it on a timer.

enclosure details:

5'x3'x7' with 1' of topsoil/playsand substrate.

any input helps. Thanks!

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I don`t think you`ll need the misting system with 30cm of slightly damp substrate and (I take it?) a largish (heated) water container and low wattage halogen bulbs, the humidity should be fine.

3. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

oh really? I don't have a heated water dish. This is the first I have heard of it. Do you know of a good one to buy? or make if that is cheaper?

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

If your enclosure is sealed properly, you don't need the mister or the humidifier. You can have moderate levels of air humidity and higher levels in hides or burrows just by keeping the substrate damp.

5. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Well then I guess I'm good. The enclosure would be air tight if i didn't put vents in.

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You can put vents in, just use the ones that close up tight. Or put tape over if need be.