This Disappears When Logged In

Could Be Male?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Ultima78, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

I think some guesses could be made at this age beacuse my water dragon is not VERY young but could he be a male?

My water dragon is almost 15 STL and is 3.5 SVL. Im guessing this is a year or 14 months right? So not TOO young to tell. He already has a decent size head crest,growing one on his tail, and is SUPER COLORFUL, and has pink on his lips(a trait i see on all males), he also has visible,somewhat bumpy pores, and has a big colorful cheek with pretty big spikes. These are traits i see in most males so could he be one or is it really still too early?

Theres the video for more. WARNING: The video is very low quality so you cant see the colors or spikes well,sorry bout that.

2. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

[video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=plcp&v=7tLGGJDuLXE[/video]

3. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

The video doesn't work for me.

One a side note my female is very colorful
    009-33.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Video doesn't work for me either. But to compare with Susan's female here is my not very colorful male: image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

5. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Thala those tail spikes are something else!! He's a beautiful boy :)
    It seems that a lot of animals I get become brighter, more color. Like Zap the CWD, My boa has peachy sides, my ghost cornsnakes are very pink, even my cichlids are bright. Something in the water?? lol

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

You have been slipping them radiation havent you? Do they glow in the dark?

7. AParkin

AParkin Elite Member

My Zen is about the same size, and I keep trying to guess too. :) I'm thinking it just might be too early to tell. Ii will include some pictures of Zen for comparison. I'm hoping male so I ve just been saying "he." In comparison to some dragons at a nearby petstore, Zens crest is a little larger than the crests of a couple dragons several inches larger than he is, but also smaller than the crest of one a little larger than him that is obviously male. If coloration is any indication (which it may not be based on the previous replies) Zen is a lot more colorful than a lot of the dragon photos I've seen. The colors don't show up very well in the photos, but his jawline is aqua, blue, peach and lavender. The underside of the base of his tail is splashed with aqua, and he has black stripes on his hind legs from the thighs all the way down to the toes. And one front leg from the toes up to the elbow is a solid bluish white, looks like he's wearing a glove. Lol
    Mobile Photobucket

8. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

I've seen your Water Dragon Zap's Easter Colors Thread Wyldrose before so yes i know you have quite the unusual colrful female but if that IS a full grown FEMALE then mine must be a male. He has a bigger crest and spikes than that as young as he is NOW(14 months) so i can start leaning towards the male decison at least.

9. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

[video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=7tLGGJDuLXE&feature=plcp[/video]

Should be called Zeus Shedding Update.

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I know why the link doesnt work for computers...its from youtubes mobile site so the address is in a format the computers cant read.

As far as the video itself. I still think you have a female. The crest isn't that big but give it a few months and we can reevaluate it. Look at this thread it has baby photos of Tai: http://www.herpcenter.com/water-dragons/44523-tais-new-game.html

11. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

Well you didnt hear me did you? I said his crest is bigger and then sometimes smaller at certain times and i said it's weird how it happens. It was definitley low that time and also he was just about to sleep and you know when water dragons are going into their sleep mode their colors dull and their crests are smaller. I assure you i said his crest was bigger than Zaps for a reason.

12. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

Sorry for my double post i thought the first reply didnt make it through. Also Thalatte nvm on the crest n spikes part I just saw the THIRD pic Tai has humongous ones so yeah I'll give it to November thats when my water dragon will be sexually mature or very close to it. I would say 6 in svl is a good time to tell. So I'll try again November.

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That would be a good size to judge the sex. Who knows he/she may be a late bloomer. Tai was. When I first posted pics of Tai he was just about 5in Svl and everyone thought he was female. Then after a couple more growth spurts he suddenly had a huge crest and spikes.

14. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

Wow they have growth spurts? Mine is just shedding the usual once a month thing.

15. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I thought for sure that Zap was a male, but she kept on growing and growing and the spikes stayed small.
    I would wait a bit like you said :) You might be in for a surprize!
    I would love to have a male cwd too just so I could see the differences up close :) Not to breed of course! Heck if a male is anything like Zap it would be fun! Her free range of the house is fun, you never know where she's going to go. It seems she plots it out, sometimes she's on the boot rack, the snakes racks, she LOVED the Christmas tree!!