This Disappears When Logged In

Corn Snake Substrates

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by GumDrops, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GumDrops

GumDrops Active Member

Obviously there are alot of opinions out there about what kinds of substrate are okay for Corns. I am thinking about getting a Corn, and as I've researched throughout Google, there isn't a person on snake forums that can give me a straight-up answer since everyone else comes in and disagrees/complains.

Blah, blah. ANYYYYYWAYS, what are your experiences with these "common" substrates (AKA, the 3 everyone seemed to agree on the most on Yahoo)

*Repti-Carpet
    *Aspen Shavings
    *Calci-Sand

What are your intakes? Thanks so much.

-Gummy

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Calci-sand is just BAD, for ANY animal. You're going to get a lot of the same response. Don't EVER use the stuff, especially for a corn snake, which isn't even native to sandy habitat.

You'll likely get recommendations for aspen bedding, repti-carpet, paper towels, and maybe a few for a mulch bedding. I personally use aspen for my black rat snake, which is very similar to a corn.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Calcium sand is a joke! It should not be used on anything!

Cornsnakes are native to the Southeastern United States. No desert there. Think forest swamps and grassland.
    The carpet is fine if that is what appeals to you.
    My recommendation is to start a new snake out on plain old paper in order to better monitor for parasites or any regurge or dropping problems. Then I personally like aspen. It does the job and I like the look of it. The snake also likes to burrow thru it the way that they would in tall grass.

4. 904cresteds

904cresteds Elite Member

there are dunes!! by the beach lol sorry merlin just wanted to mess with ya but your right that crap is no good!

i have cornsnakes near my porch they looove the pine needles!lol

5. Merlin

Yeah but you don't see many of them out on the dunes sun bathing! :p

6. 904cresteds

904cresteds Elite Member

lol true >.<

7. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Come on Merlin thats a bit harsh! just think how pretty it would look in those little jars and vases they use with the multi colored sand... ;)

8. Merlin

You have a point!
    So there actually IS a use for Calcium sand!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.