This Disappears When Logged In

Corn Snake Questions

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Valencia Cataldo, Jan 24, 2018.

1. I have a few questions. My daughter is getting a corn snake. Soo...i have a few questions. I have a 20 gal long for the snake...and someone gave me a 30-40 gallon uth....is that too much heat for that size tank? Also...we were also given a uvb flouresent bulb. We also have a hide for the cold and hot side...thermometers for both sides...a humidity gauge...water conditioner..and aspen substrate. My questions are does the snake need the lights? If so over what side of the tank...the hot or cold? Also...is there a light for nightime viewing? I don't want it to be too hot with the uth and the lights. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated. We want her snake to live as long as possible and be as happy and comfortable as she can. Thank you

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Corns do not need UVB light. Mine only had the ambient lights in the room.
    And fluorescent lights do not provide heat.
    The heat pad needs to only cover 1/3 of the bottom. You need a thermostat to control it.
    If your gauges are analog dials they need to be replaced with digital. You can't trust the analogs.
    The water conditioner is not necessary. I used straight tap water for everything I kept.
    Get the enclosure set up and running for a few days prior to getting the snake to make sure everything is running smoothly.

Darkbird likes this.
  3. Merlin...are ambient lights the red and blue ones that i see people use sometimes? Also..would it be bad to use the water conditioner? Lol..since i spent almsot $8. If it's bad for the snake i won't. And are you saying that as long as the uth doesn't cover more than 1/3 of the cage it's fine? Sorry if I'm confusing. And yes...everything is digital. With the little probes. Thank you again☺

4. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

I believe by ambient light, Merlin is referring to the standard lighting in the room he housed them in.

The water conditioner should not hurt the snake if the directions for use are followed, though if you have not opened yet you may be able to return it for a refund. I have heard that leaving tap water in an uncovered container allows chlorine to evaporate out, but I am not certain if this has any basis in fact or not.

In regards to the heat pad, if the enclosure is long, having the heat pad cover half of the enclosure may not be an issue as long as it doesn't make the temperature on the hot or cool side too high. A thermostat is important to insure that the heat pad doesn't get *too* hot though. The thermometer is only to monitor temperature, where the thermostat will actually adjust or cut power to the heat pad to control the temperature and ensure that it is maintained in the ideal range.

5. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Yes the heatpad should cover 1/3 of the enclosure floor maximum. And yes it must be controlled with a thermostat. Depending on what the "water conditioner" actually is; it may indeed be harmful, so maybe send us a picture of the product?

Valencia Cataldo likes this.
  6. Thank you so much. So after i get the thermostat the snake will be all set? And i won't need any lights? Also..I've heard corn snakes aren't really climbers..but we wanted to put in some branches. Would that be fine? Thank you again for your help

Attached Files:

8. Ok. So maybe get a smaller uth? And the thermostat? And no need to worry about lights?

9. AmityReptiles

No you won't necessarily need lights, but they do need a day/night cycle so as long as there are lights on in the room during the day or Windows for light to filter in it should be fine. Branches are fine, the snake will probably make some use of them. It seems like you have everything you need, but send us a picture of the enclosure once it is set up so we can make sure nothing's being missed :)

10. Thank you...and i will post pics

11. AmityReptiles

That product is fine to use. And if its larger than 1/3 of the tank you will need a smaller pad. Or you could use a heat lamp, whatever is easier for you.

12. Ok. I'll keep the conditioner. Lol..and that was my source of confusion. I've heard the mats are better..but then again some people say lamps. I'm in Wisconsin so it gets kind of cold. I just want to make sure i set it up right from the beginning. Sorry if I'm being a pest

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes ambient light is just the light in the room itself.
    And the water conditioner is fine to use...Just unnecessary
    That's old school fish keeping. And it was true years ago. These days most municiple water is treated with chloramines, which mixes chlorine and ammonia gas which stabilizes it and it does not evaporate. This is fine for reptiles but aquatics require the water treatment.

14. AmityReptiles

And although not at all necessary, when the corn snake is adult size you could use that pad on a larger 30-40gal enclosure. The snake would appreciate the extra space. But like I said not strictly necessary.

15. Thank you Merlin. I'll use this bottle up...and then i wont buy any more

16. Atroxus

Interesting, I had been told previously that heat pads could cover up to one half of an enclosure as long as a thermostat is used to ensure that temps are maintained correctly across the entire enclosure. I guess could see how on a smaller enclosure having half heated could make it difficult, if not impossible to keep the cool side cool enough though.

17. I was thinking of keeping it for when it gets bigger. Thank you. I think i have it all squared away.

18. AmityReptiles

Yeah the problem is temperature gradient. You want a hot, cool, and medium spot. If it's over 1/3 of the tank especially with something that small it's going to only have hot and mediumish... which is "doable" but not "ideal".

19. Ok..ill get a smaller one. I.want the snake to be as happy as possible

20. Atroxus

One other very important item to mention...don't forget to post pics of the new snake asap. ;)