This Disappears When Logged In

Coral, my Sinaloan - first pics

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by JMM, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMM

JMM Elite Member

I´m learning...

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

True Merlin, but as you said every snake is different. Our young chondros will attack and constrict a frozen/thawed pinkie so hard that it usually bursts!! :eek:
    I have to tell them: "OK, I think you got it... Is it not quite dead enough for you yet?!" They don't really listen, though, and just coil tighter until they're satisfied that the pinkie is most definitely dead! :D

Nice dinning room, João! It's a better way to feed: no risk of Coral swallowing substrate or thinking dinner is coming every time the door is opened!
    He/She's a beautiful snake and looks like a healthy eater! Congratulations! :D

3. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Tks

Have to find that out, but I think it´s too soon to probe. "Coral" is a name that can go either way, but my g/f keeps calling her/him "Valkiria".
    Imagine if he is a boy ? That could be traumatic !:D

4. aztec4mia

aztec4mia Elite Member

Nice looking sinaloan congrats on the addition, now for the feeding you can go two ways and you should be alright, first if you feed in the tank one way to avoid the whole asscoiation of hand with feeding is to hook train her/him, instead of your hand reaching in you make first contact with the hook, thus when you feed, no hook=food, use a hook=no food, snakes are smart and can reconize the hook very easily, but this method is mainly used for larger snakes. but the same rule could apply to feeding it outside the tank because when you reach in to put it back into the tank after it has eaten it will still be in "Feed Mode", at that size either way is not going to make a diiference because the bites dont hurt, but it is better to start them off young. good luck. hope that made sense.

5. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Feeding tip

I´m feeding once a week a peach fuzzy (I think this is how its called in English; you may see by the pics, above)

Do you think its enough or should I add another one ? Coral seems a bit unsatisfied after the meal - well... at least keeps looking for another one, although I understand that´s normal behavior. She´s around 24".

What do you recommend ? Stay the way it is ? Add another one, keeping the weekly feeding or start feeding one every 5 days or so ?

I don´t want to overfeed or anything, nor am I in a rush for her to grow faster

6. venus

venus Founding Member

Being she looks like a baby/juvie still, you can try every 5 days to see if that satisfies her more :)

7. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Updating

Hi,

Just a quick update

Coral is very shy ! I hardly see her...

When I go home in the evening she´s always hidding - which would be normal - but never in one of the "normal" hiddings. She likes to dig under the water bowl, in the fresher side of the enclosure. Even after lights out (at least until I go to bed), she´s out of sight.

The first nights I thought she had escaped, but after taking everything out of the enclosure, there she was. Now, it´s a (almost) daily drill.

After picking her up, she is calm is my hand and lap but as long as she is "safe" in the enclosure, she "goes under".

Is this a normal behaviour in a milksnake, or there is in no such thing and each "snake is a snake" ?

Would it be different if I "let her be" for a couple of weeks ?

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes perfectly normal. Snakes in the wild will normally spend most or their time holed up somewhere secure. If they aren't hunting or looking to breed they pretty much just hang out. As the snake gets more and more settled in it will be visible more often.

My snakes all went thru that hiding phase. Now they comeout whenever I am in the room.
    It is also possible that it is out moving around late at night while you aren't watching. Some of mine get pretty noisy!

9. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Tks Merlin

10. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Updating the diary

Coral is shedding, exactly 2 months after the last shed. I think that would mean she´s growing well.

I put an extra water bowl in the enclosure and the humidity raised to 80% (usually around 65%-70%). I also made a (kind of) moist box for her.

So, this week I´m not "bothering" her and will not feed. Problably when I came back from my Lisbon home after the weekend I´ll have some news for you. Hopefully a nice shed to show !

I´ll also take some pics to show you how she´s doing

11. venus

venus Founding Member

Awesome, cant wait to see her new pics.

12. JMM

JMM Elite Member

So, Coral shedded yesterday. Not a perfect shed, but a 3 piece.

I think (part of) it may have been my fault: when I arrived home at night, entered the living room and turned the lights on she was in the middle of the process (of course, I didn´t know it).
    She got scared with the movement and sudden light in the room and fastly slid for cover. I believe that´s when the shed broke.

Anyway, this evening I´ll check her to see if everything is ok and clean the terrarium. I´ll also replace some of the branches (I got new fabulous ones) and take some pictures.

Tomorrow is feeding day (back to the weekly schedule)

13. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Blurry pictures

After checking Coral pos-shed, I´ve cleaned and redone the terrarium with two new branches and a new (fake) plant (cactus-like) that were all previously boiled.

The pictures are all terrible... sorry for that.

I was still celebrating the fact that my team, Sporting Clube of Portugal, had just won the semi-final and is now heading to the final of the Portuguese (soccer) Cup so... you may understand...

Anyway,

the new branches
    [​IMG]

the terrarium (redone)
    [​IMG]

Left to right
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Coral
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you like the new set.up

14. venus

venus Founding Member

Looks gorgeous Joao!! I really like the wood in the set up. Your babies is looking good.

15. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Thanks Venus

I got a new log, and yesterday (after cleaning the terrarium) I found what will probably be the final decoration of Coral´s home:
    (blurry pictures, as usual...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that, we were watching tv
    [​IMG]

But she got bored and decided to go for a "walk"..
    [​IMG]

And, to finalise, what was...almost... a nice picture (if only she didn´t go for the camera...)
    [​IMG]

That´s all for now.

16. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Hi, again

Yesterday night I was on the couch watching TV (sleeping, mostly....) and suddenly looked at the terrarium and saw a "tail" hanging from the top of it. Well, I though, she is escaping !!

As I looked closer, I realized that Coral managed to squeeze a (tiny) bit of her body between the cover of the terrarium and its plastic frame (if you look at the picture in my previous post, you may better understand the description) which was enough to hold her and was exploring the area, up side down, like she was slithering "on the ceiling".
    Unfortunately, my camera is in Lisbon, so I couldn´ take a picture.
    A few moments later, I heard a bump...and she was down again.

It always amazes me the muscular power of these little creatures...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.