This Disappears When Logged In

Converting a 40gal to a Tall Tank for Lechie?

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus' started by aromatherapykim, Jun 27, 2014.

1. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

I have some extra 40 gal tanks with the sliding top laying around. Is it possible to turn it on its side and use the top (now front) screen as the door?
    Would there be any other adjustments or stabilizations that I would need to make? Why would be the best way to make a lip at the bottom so the substrate doesn't fall out? I would love to be able to convert the tank to a tall tank for a lechie. Has anyone here done this before?

2. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Yep, I have done that before. I put it up on its end, siliconed a piece of plexi (10") to the top and bottom of the opening, and then left the middle piece of plexi so that I could take it out when I wanted to get in and do stuff. I drilled a line of holes along the middle piece and top piece so there is some air transfer but not too much. Then filled the bottom 8" or so with substrate and plants. Its not the prettiest front, but it worked. The issue I found is that it limits your lighting possibilities, since the 'top' of the enclosure is now a solid piece of glass. I know they say that leachies dont require UVB, but its always troubled me that I dont provide it.

3. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

Do you have a picture?
    So the whole front (the opening) you cover with plexy glass? So there's no screen part to it?
    Sorry trying to imagine