This Disappears When Logged In

Continued Problems (Gaping Etc.)

Discussion in 'Blood Pythons' started by DarkVice, Jun 24, 2013.

1. DarkVice

DarkVice Active Member

Back with more questions about my blood.

So after the last bout of RI a few months ago things seemed to get better. He calmed down, stopped wheezing, and wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary.

However, this past week he's started being really antsy again. After weeks and weeks of pet rock mode, he's almost always moving around his cage sticking his nose up at the ceiling. He's also tearing up the paper towels pretty bad. Finally, I came back from the grocery store today and found him gaping.

Now we're currently in rainy season here in Japan with local temperature being between 80-90 F with humidity up around 70%
    His acting up started right at the same time a typhoon off the coast brought about 3 or 4 days of rain, but I don't know if they're that influenced by the weather. That being said I'm trying to improve ventilation in the cage to see if that helps.

Up until this week everything had been fine. Within the past month he's shed, pooped, and been eating and drinking.

Anyway, any advice or anything to keep an eye on. What I found online said that gaping could be and infection or could be heat and stress, so either way I'd like to figure it out.

2. Ieasa

Ieasa Elite Member

What is the temp and humidity in the enclosure?

3. DarkVice

DarkVice Active Member

It's at 82 on the cool end and 89 on the warm. When I'm at work the whole thing get's up to pretty even 36 throughout.
    I try to keep humidity between 60% and 70% but with rainy season over here it easily jumps to 85 or higher.

4. Ieasa

Ieasa Elite Member

I am no expert by any stretch. By I think that humidity is just too high. From all I have read 60% is ideal. 85% is high and may very well be the issue.

We have a little struggle keeping ours high enough. I hope someone with more experience hops on soon.

I wonder how you could get more ventilation. .....

5. DarkVice

DarkVice Active Member

The problem with weather around here is that in rainy season it will be in the 80s and 90s for three days and then down in 70s for another 3. I had an overhead heater hooked up to a thermostat, but that almost ever comes on anymore, so I removed that to see if that would help airflow. The cage itself is glass with a mesh top (large snakes aren't popular over here and this is the largest available) so I have a thin piece of plastic I've drilled holes into that I lay over the mesh on days when the humidity is low.
    I also just put in a larger water dish this evening so we'll see if the heat can't be helped with better soaks.

6. Ieasa

Ieasa Elite Member

The larger water bowl is going to increase humidity though......hmmmm this is a rough one.

7. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I would say remove all the cover on the top to ensure as much ventilation as possible. Given the ambient humidity is that high the only thing you could do is get a dehumidifier for the whole room. Don't know if that's feasible for you..... also as to the varying temps, perhaps you should look into getting something like a herpstat to control your heating or a similar system. This way it will come on when needed and off when not, look for a reliable system and then your enclosure will be hands free and less stressful for you.

8. DarkVice

DarkVice Active Member

I've put in the larger water bowel for cooling and opened up the top. It's now in the low 60's, and for the evening he seems pretty calm. I do have a digital thermostat in there with his heat pad then hooked to that, but at this point it pretty much never comes on anyway.
    I can just watch him at this point I suppose

9. DarkVice

DarkVice Active Member

Update:

Tonight was feeding night, and he perked up as usual once rats entered the room. He'd been back to his calm self for a couple days now, although I found him with his head pointing up a few times. Anyway, he ate fine but I noticed a slight quiet whistling. At this point I had his cage open, so he was at the room temperature 63% humidity or so.

Also, aside from that when cleaning his water dish I notice semi-clear film in it. I haven't seen anything drooling or anything, but I find I've never seen anything nasty grow in a water dish that fast.

Anyway, I was thinking I was good to forgo the vet, but adding this to everything I think it's pretty much decided, unless anyone thinks I'm overreacting...

10. Khelmoria

Khelmoria Elite Member

I would go to the vet before it has time to get worse. sounds like he is at-least a little sick.

11. Ieasa

Ieasa Elite Member

I always stand on the side of caution. Better to catch a mild illness then to battle worsening illness. Keep us updated.