This Disappears When Logged In

Contemplating a Boa.

Discussion in 'Hog Island Boas' started by Khelmoria, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Khelmoria

Khelmoria Elite Member

Could you please recommend different cage options?

I am not at the point that I want to do a custom. I was looking at boaphile cages.

Thought please and thanks!

2. norwegn113

norwegn113 Well-Known Member

I use custom cages for my boas , BUT I have the advantage of being a carpenter so its a bit easier for me than most! Here is my take on it. I have heard from many people that boaphile cages has very poor customer service and that it takes an extremely long time to get your cage from them. now on the other hand I have heard alot of very positive feed back on the cages from animal plastics. I personally like the look of the Vision brand cage myself though. There is 3 options for you to start with. Keep in mind when you are shopping about such things as how do you plan on heating the cage and do you want hinged doors or sliders, etc. Shopping for cages can be fun if you do your homework first and know what options you want your cage to have. Do you plan on buying a "forever" home for a boa, or will this be a starter cage? I suggest a min. size for an adult to be no less than 6'x2'x18". Possibly bigger based on sex and BCC or BCI. Good luck and let us know what you end up buying .

3. Khelmoria

Khelmoria Elite Member

I want a forever home I do not like the idea of sizing up later on. I am looking at the hogg island boas as I do not want anything too big. Too bad you live so far away I would love to design a custom cage, but most such cages are way out of my ideal price range.
    Thanks.

4. Khelmoria

Khelmoria Elite Member

As far as building a cage form either animal plastics or boaphile,
    I am at a loss I would be needing to do a ton of research as there are so many options that I know nothing about!

5. norwegn113

norwegn113 Well-Known Member

Well the good news is that Hogg Island Boas get much smaller that their counterparts. So you would be ok with a 4'x2' cage. Height wise is up to you. They say Boas are terrestrial animals BUT if you give them a tree branch to play on, most will take advantage of that so in my opinion I would not go with anything under 18" tall, and nothing over 24" tall. Heating a cage that size can be done using a Radiant Heat Panel and a high quality thermostat. RHP are not advised for cages under 18" tall as far as im concerned. You could also use an UTH with a light source to heat ambient air temps. So you do have a few different options when it comes to heating. ( doors) I personally like sliding doors made from glass not acrylic. Hinged doors can be a pain and tend to get in the way during maintenance. Acrylic doors will scratch too easily. The look of the cage , well thats personal choice on your end. If it was me... and only my opinion for the Hogg island I would go with a T12 cage from Animal Plastics. Its plenty big enough and gives a bit of head space for your little guy to play on a branch or two! :)

6. Khelmoria

Khelmoria Elite Member

Thanks for the information. I am new to snakes and sometimes get a little overwhelmed.