This Disappears When Logged In

Considering Making My Own Cages.

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by kevintj0913, Nov 21, 2013.

1. kevintj0913

kevintj0913 Member

Hello everyone,

I would like to know how to make my own stacking cages. I have a bearded dragon, a rosy boa and a sand boa. If anyone has any advice on making cages for my reptiles please let me know. I am new to making my own cages. I am moving back in with my parents since I'm graduating college and space is limited. I would like to make a cage that looks nice and is safe for my pets. What are the best materials that won't mildew or fall apart quickly?

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

What tools do you have at your disposal?
    I prefer 3/4 plywood. Strong and lightweight.

3. kevintj0913

kevintj0913 Member

I have a wide variety of tools, I have a jig saw, miter saw, and a lot of other things.

4. kriminaal

Not sure on the requirements for the Rosy Boa.
    But I would make separate boxes and stack them.
    Maybe a base unit with some doors for accessories.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It really is easiest if you just build completely contained boxes (with the lights and such mounted inside them) and then just stack the boxes on top of each other. Then you can rearrange them as needed and its easier to move them when its time for you to move again.

6. kriminaal

Here's a quick pic.
    [​IMG]

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

And then the beardie would be on the bottom and the rosy and sand boas would be in the top 2?

8. kevintj0913

kevintj0913 Member

That sounds good to me. I like the illustration. I would make the bottom cage 5x2x2 then the rosy 3x2x2 and the sand 2x2x2 so they all have more than enough space to grow and explore.
    What would be the best materials to use?

9. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm thinking melamine so if properly sealed at the corners it could do better keeping any water or moisture from penetrating, but I'm certainly no expert on this.....

10. kriminaal

Melamine would work since you won't have higher humidity in there.
    It's kind of heavy though and I would give 3/4" plywood a thought as well.
    Plus with the plywood you can sand and stain it. Makes it look blend in more with decor.

11. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

i second the 3/4 ply. it holds up better than melamine, a lot lighter, finish is better.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Third for the plywood. Melamine is basically glued together sawdust. If the cage gets a lot of movement or bumping into, the screw holes will wallow out.