This Disappears When Logged In

Confused about bearded dragons colors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rbl, Mar 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Hi!
    The more I read about beardies' color, more convinced I am that my previous assumption of "bright color = healthy" is wrong.

With so many breeder hype surrounding beardies' color schemes, now I don't even know what color should a "regular" beardie be =)

If someone can point me an article(s) about this, I would appreciate it!

Thanks =)
    Ricardo

2. venus

venus Founding Member

The color for a normal bearded dragon is brown and tan with maybe some small amounts of red and yellow on the head. Do you have a pic of your bearded? Bright colors do not necessarily mean healthy.

3. rbl

I haven't got one =) I'm in the middle of the decision process between a beardie and a leo.
    Mainly I'm just want to make sure I can distinguish between healthy and "not so healthy" individuals, and learn something about colors and how common/rare are they.

4. GimliMakaio

GimliMakaio Active Member

i would go with a beardie over a leo if i were you! dragons have so much more personality, and they love attention.
    some dragons will darken the spots on their tummies and beards if they are stressed, but some dragons have permanently dark spots. dragons usually darken up when they are basking to better absorb heat. but color doesnt really matter as much as if the dragon is eating, alert, clean, and a good weight.

5. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Tolkein my bearded is a normal heres a pic of him where he is displaying some dark coloring.

[​IMG]

And here he is just basking he is a lot lighter in color.

[​IMG]

My other two beardies have bright orange beards and are like a cream color.

They will go darker in color when trying to attract more heat, whereas the beard display is different, Tolkein will display a really jet black beard when with the female adults.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

With all the specialized breeding going on color is really not much use as a way to determine health. What you need to look for is an animal that is active and alert. The eyes should be open and attentive to what you are doing. There should be no signs of crustiness or disharge around the eyes and nose. The vent should be clean and have no signs of diarrea. Ask to see the animal eat. Healthy beardies have a voracious diet for crickets. If the owner tells you they have already beeen fed make a date to come back the next day to watch the feeding.
    Sometimes otherwise healthy beardies may be missing toes or tail tips due to the predation of its cagemates.

7. rbl

Fantastic! =) Thanks Merlin!

8. samantha

samantha Elite Member

really pretty beardies steel rip! he knows hes hot stuff dont he..lol!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.