This Disappears When Logged In

Concern Over Shed

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by shrike1978, May 23, 2018.

1. shrike1978

shrike1978 New Member

Our new ball python has been showing signs of shed for a long while now. She actually left the blue eyes phase more than a week ago. Now, her skin is wrinkled and loose looking, and there are a few scales on the tip of her nose and the underside of her chin that are upturned and cracked looking, but she will not shed. She's rubbing on everything and can seem to start. Especially in the last two or three days, she's been rubbing on everything, climbing a lot.

I'm getting very concerned because the things I've read have indicated that she should have shed within a few days after the blue eyes faded.

Temps are 79 on the cool side and 83 on the warm side as measured by digital thermometers. Belly temps are between 78 on the cool side and 92 in the hotspot as measure by an infrared temp gun. Humidity has been kept between 65-75% as measured by digital hygrometers since we noticed the first signs of blue eyes.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It really sounds like there are humidity issues. Is there a waterfowl big enough for the snake to submerge in?
    Can you put up pictures of the devices as well as the snake and the enclosure.

3. shrike1978

shrike1978 New Member

I'll get some pictures when I get home this evening.

She's currently in a 20 gallon long with a screen top. About half the top is covered. I have an indoor/outdoor digital thermometer/hygrometer with the indoor/receiver on the cool side and the outdoor/transmitter on the warm side, both mounted to the glass close to the bottom of the tank. She has a hide on each end. Heating is both UTH and CHE (due to the room temps not being high enough for the UTH to keep ambients up). Humidity during the shed has been provided by a humidifier with the hose on the warm side slightly toward the front half near the warm side hide.

Her waterbowl should be big enough for her to curl up in, but I've never seen her try. I have seen her slither through it a couple of times, but I've never seen her basking in it.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, you need to cover the whole top because as it is you will never be able to stabilise either the temps or humidity.