This Disappears When Logged In

Compact UVB Bulbs!?!

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by thinkbig317, Aug 5, 2013.

1. thinkbig317

thinkbig317 Elite Member

What's the deal w/ studies saying that compact UVB bulbs are causing blindness?!?!?! Any truth behind this? Anybody have any personal experience w/ compact UVB bulbs hurting their reptiles vision?? That's what I've been using for my beardie for a year and a half and he seems fine......little worried now however.

2. Vers

Vers Elite Member

While the issue (PKC) isn't nearly as prevalent now it was a number of years ago, and it wasn't limited just to CFL UVB bulbs. Something that has never changed, however, is the way these bulbs function. Because of their design CFL UVB bulbs produce very narrow UV beams with a very steep UVI gradient, which is not ideal. I would seriously recommend replacing CFL UVB bulbs with more suitable UVB lighting options. Personally I would recommend T5 HO fluorescent lighting (Arcadia or ZooMed) or a quality MVB (Arcadia or MegaRay). If you want to check out complete Arcadia kits swing by lightyourreptiles.com. In addition please check out this link for more info on UV lighting. I hope that helps!

3. thinkbig317

thinkbig317 Elite Member

Thanks Vers. I appreciate it!!! Switching ASAP....:)

4. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Its a combination of a couple of things really. One problem has been fixed apparently, while the other is due to the keeper and easily avoided. First, they used to make them with a poor quality control. As a result, they were made with cheap glass and poor production, which lead to bulbs that released a lot of short wavelength UVB and even UVC. These are damaging to your lizard, and the first place you notice it is the eyes, where it causes photo kerato-conjunctivitis. Once the brands found out the result, they changed manufacturers and this appears to have solved the problem. The second issue is that people often mount their light sources in the wrong place. Lights should always be mounted on the ceiling of the enclosure, overhead. Lizards are adapted with brow ridges so that the strong bright UV sun does not shine directly in their eyes. Putting a bright light on the back wall of the enclosure means the light is shining directly in the eyes of the lizard and can cause retinal damage, especially when the light is only a few inches from the basking platform.

The other reason they arent recommended as much is because they arent that great at producing UV, and its a very small spread that is produced. There are many better lights to use for UV if you are able to switch to them.

5. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Ha, beat me to it!

6. thinkbig317

thinkbig317 Elite Member

All makes sense!! Thanks for the input. I'll be switching VERY soon.