This Disappears When Logged In

Common Desert Tarantula

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by MentatIx, Oct 19, 2012.

1. MentatIx

MentatIx Active Member

Or something. Found this guy at work yesterday.

dcg9cl.jpg

He's mighty friendly, even after being used to terrify less spider friendly co-workers and spending a cold shaky hour on the back of a bike on the way home. He already ate a cricket. I made him a little burrow to see if he'd use it, but he has not been interested so far.

Don't know much about these guys. Haven't decided if I'm going to keep him around.

2. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

I'm not well familiarized with the Tarantulas from Cali, but one bit of advice stands for many easily found specimens: if it is out wandering, it is likely a male in search of mate (I can't say this positively because of the pic angle, but this is a common behavior pattern). As a male, it will not live long. (Most male T's have a very short lifespan following their ultimate molt.)

While I'm not personally opposed to caring for non-endangered wild-caught animals, I certainly advise you to consider the situation this animal is in: it is unlikely to live long (hence bringing you more sorrow than joy), and its primary purpose is to mate and pass on its genes.

Just a thought. Good luck!

3. alpine

alpine Elite Member

The same could really be said for any male tarantula, even those purchased as a pet at a very young age. Unless it is female it will not be very long lived, considering the fact that this male is already fully sized there is no telling how long it would live. I personally would let the little guy go. If you are interested in getting a tarantula as a pet then you could probably find one as a baby and raise it from then and have a full spider life time with it.

4. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Aphonopelma chalcodes The desert blonde, by area blond, California blonde. Mexican blonde. There's a few names.
    He looks like a male but I'm not sure I have to see the underside. It might be a younge female. Male blondes live a little longer then most! They can live up to 12 years! And the females 20+. They reach sexual maturity at 8 years and he/she looks a bit small still. Desert blondes are really cool spiders very friendly and easy to take care of! I can give you of a run down of its enclosure if you'd like. Also if you can take a pickture of it next to something like a penny for size ratio and then the underside I can tell you if it's male or female. :) great find by the way! A lot of desert blondes are wild caught and know one can really tell because they're so docile.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  5. alpine

alpine Elite Member

How do you even tell that they are male or female... They all look rather similar o_O

6. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

If its a girl it will have female spermatheca on the underside of its abdomen. Males do not.

7. alpine

alpine Elite Member

Oh. Fair enough. Gonna have to look that up on Google haha.

8. MentatIx

MentatIx Active Member

I'm pretty sure its a male, just because google told me the females have a lighter coloration and a bigger abdomen, and it was out wondering the desert. So it is probably sexually mature (8-10 years old) since they don't leave the burrow until they're mature for the most part.

I read that they're on their last leg once they leave a burrow in search of a mate, but didn't find anything specific. Do they live another year? The rest of the season? It'll be interesting to find out.

9. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

That all depends on if they have mated or not. There are a few subspecies of the desert tarantula where the females when not full grown look like males.