This Disappears When Logged In

Commercial Skinning from Reptile Adoption!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by caudalis_sa, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

Well a friend of mine just came back from South America and brought back a pair of boots made from Iguana skins!

It got me thinking....
    Would there not be a market for commercially using abandoned reptiles for this kind of thing. Rescued Iguanas, Bearded Dragons, Burmese Pythons etc etc.

It would take pressure off the wild populations and also give purpose to those herps who just get too big or expensive for people to keep. Or those reptiles that people bought without thinking.

It would also create jobs... a win-win situation. I am going to start investigating the possibility. It looks totally legal too if animals are put down humanly. This will also wipe out the need for rescue centers and funds can now be concentrated on herps in the wild.

Cool idea hey! People can buy pets now without thinking to much about them.... at least they will be put to use

2. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

It does sound like a good idea. Waste of a good resource in any form is a stupid practice. When I go hunting, I always use whatever I take. I have no use for those 'hunters' that just go out for a day of shooting, killing, and wasting anything and everything they see. They are lower than Whale turds on the bottom of the ocean.

You may get a lot of flack from the Animal Rights groups on this idea though. PETA is one of them, and I'm sure there are others!

If it does look like a viable money maker, and takes care of useless waste, then go for it! I hope you do well.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

It is a viable idea Dev. However I can see a lot of resistance as already stated.
    Think of it this way.
    Why not do the same thing with cats and dogs?

4. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

*Wondering if this is Devon's april fool's joke"
    But you know what? I have NO IDEA lol

5. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Great Devon! But, you got me thinking and I came up with a better idea! How 'bout we gather all of the owners of unwanted pets (those that got too big, were bought without too much thought, are considered disposable, etc.) and skin the people! Think how much better gloves would fit! Foot shaped shoes! Coats with tatoos!

6. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

Before it gets out of hand ...hehe :D

7. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

We could feed the left over remains to the all of the starving people in the world too. ;)

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Devon, that thundering sound was the lynch mob headed YOUR way!

9. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Why yes it was the lynch mob heading his way! Of course led by me!!:mad: I was thinking what I would look like in a Devon jacket, it was an appealing thought :p He is lucky it was a joke, lol. However I could assure him that I would be a great hunter and utilize every part of him so there would be no waste :p

I wonder what I would look like in a wig full of dreads after I scalped him :D:p That's an interesting thought, lol

10. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

hehehe I could not resist! And you people thought I would do that!!! ah!

11. Merlin

You didn't pull the wool over EVERYbodys eyes!:p;)

12. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I think the biggest resistance is people thinking our 1st world thrown out pets are still better than those countries wild animals and deserve better treatment. No one wants to give up a pet (Even if they don't want it) to be killed. At least I hope so. People don't want to give their pets to a place that makes money on their killing them.

Not that i think this is a bad idea, it would be nice if they have some purpose other than being burned. But then there will be scandals of pets with better skins being put down for their profit of skinning.

13. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

I didn't even think of it being April Fool's day!:eek:

No matter, I would still think of the idea as viable, even if the Animal Activists didn't like it! :p

Lizzy Borden's father once said 'Waste not, want not"
    (just before he made them eat the spoiled mutton stew, with maggots and all!):eek::D

Her retribution;
    "Lizzy Borden took an axe, and gave her Father forty whacks. When she saw what she had done, she gave her Mother forty one!":cool:

14. Merlin

Continuing on this line of mental meandering!
    While I myself would rather that an animal that had to be put down was used for something other than to fill up a dumpster, I could see it having the effect of causing more people to just release their animals instead of risking them being killed and skinned.

15. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

Also would increase the amount of animals being poached for the pet trade as sales would increase because of their disposable nature.

It was a joke...

APRIL FOOLS!!! :D

16. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Party Pooper! Even if I had thought that you felt this way; I know you would be smart enough to avoid this forum to post those thoughts! Although, who knows how much venom you have coursing through your veins? Could be impacting the self preservation instinct!

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I wondered at some point (and I think mentioned it in another thread) about rounding up exotics where they are not native - like the pythons that are populating the everglades - and using them for skin (and meat) trade - a small bounty on them to be paid by the commercial companies using their skins might encourage people to round some up - and discourage people from releasing their pets. Like someone said, they don't want their pets skinned.

I hate to destroy the animals because they only ended up there from human stupidity, but what other options are there sometimes?

I was glad to see a local herp farm listing a post on Craigslist advertising that people should not release their non-native herps, and that they could release them, free of charges or penalties to the herp farm. Every little bit helps right?

18. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

*dances around* hahahahaha I wasn't fooled nana ne ner! lmao:p:p

19. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

April fools or not sounds like a great idea for me. I shall use this and start my own place LOL. Yeah I'm sick, I dont care, it makes sense though, and the left over could be food. Makes more sense to do it this way than to keep breeding them and farming them lol.

20. labelleninirose

labelleninirose Elite Member

all I'm going to say is that the skin looks better on its owner than on a belt of a pair of boots...has anyone even seen how reptiles are killed for there skin? no I'm not going to start a fight, but I find it odd that a forum dedicated to reptiles thinks about skinning them....yes I know this was a joke but I am reading post from people who even if it's a joke think it's a good idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.