This Disappears When Logged In

Collared Lizard Mating Problem

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by MLjah, Mar 1, 2018.

1. MLjah

MLjah New Member

Hey everyone,

I have two collared lizards, one fairly bigger than the other, and they're both about 6 months old.
    Now the bigger one wants to mate with the little one.

Never in the terrarium, it always does it after chilling in the sun when i let them out.
    When they are inside they seem get along very well.
    They chill for about an hour and then the big one gets wild and jumps the little one, who doesn't seem to like it.

I dont think the small one is fertile yet, should i seperate them when this happens or just leave them?

I feel pity for the little guy cause it's neck is getting all damaged by the other one biting and climbing on top..

PLUS I dont even know for sure if the small one is a girl :D maybe they'r fighting? Its always biting the neck or back.

someone who has (had) collared lizards?

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Separate them. It's more likely dominance and you may end up with a dead lizard.

Darkbird likes this.
  3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Agree with Merlin, and been down that road with other species, and it ended badly. And if this is only happening when they have been basking out of the cage, you might want to look into your basking site temps, as they may be too low.

4. MLjah

MLjah New Member

Does this dominant behaviour get worse over time?

And i'll check that thanks for noticing

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

It can get worse, and even if it didn't the stress will lead to other issues eventually.

6. MLjah

MLjah New Member

OK. Ill try creating two basking spots and different lighting.
    If they keep fighting ill seperate them

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You are not listening. This can end badly.