This Disappears When Logged In

Coexisting

Discussion in 'Member Photos' started by akbaby907, May 26, 2014.

1. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

Anybody else's critters get along? I'm amazed my cats get along with my boa.
    10360623_632052950216906_3733843157825144407_n.jpg
    10417684_631502323605302_7806815358715340369_n.jpg

2. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

In my personal opinion allowing cats and snakes to free-roam together is asking for trouble. They are merely tolerating each other since both are predators and solitary by nature. Just my opinion, but I would stop while you're ahead with this one.

3. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

They're definitely not free roaming. In the first picture, my kitten decided to curl up in my lap after sniffing my boa, and the second was obviously supervised lol my older cat has been exposed to snakes before and is very tolerant though this was the first time I had one crawl on him. If I'm not there to supervise, the cats are locked out of the room and have no contact at all. So far, they've shown mild interest in each other, then settle down and ignore each other. When my boa gets bigger, I'll separate them more often just in case.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You are playing Russian Roulette with your animals safety.
    BAD idea!

5. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

Oh these pictures make me nervous! In the time it takes for you to get a picture something could go wrong. Please think about it and for the sake of both your animals keep them seperate

6. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

yeah one wrong move and either your cat will have the boa in its mouth and you will end up with a snake with fatal wounds to it or your cat will end up with and angry boa around it and you will not get it off in time for the cat to catch its breath...... ive seen videos before on tv where a small boa or python killed a small dog....

7. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Yeah. Bad idea. Boas or snakes in general can kill small kids. A cat would be dinner or so they would think.

8. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

Even at this size, all it takes is less than the blink of an eye for injury or death. Please, heed our caution in this one, a few pictures are not worth aggravation and vet bills that aren't just possible, but highly likely. Even supervised this is like a ticking time bomb without a timer, you don't know when it will go off, you can just be certain that at some point it will.

9. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

The reason I feel comfortable allowing this OCCASIONALLY is each animal's individual personality, and the fact my cats are declawed (previous owners, not my choice). I am aware that won't stop all accidents, but it is a huge deciding factor. There has always been multiple people present and supervising, and it will stop when she's older or if I feel uneasy about it anymore. It's not an everyday occurrence, my animals are not stressed or nervous when interacting, and interaction has been very limited. I do not normally allow my snake to crawl on any of the animals, but she was insistent on going back to him and he was calm enough I let it happen. The most interaction they get regularly is just being in the same room. I'm aware that it could be a dangerous situation, I just wanted to share pictures I was lucky enough to get the chance to take and was curious on anybody else's similar experiences. Thank you all for your input.

10. NoahGotHerpsDewd

NoahGotHerpsDewd Well-Known Member

Something could happen in a second akbaby. You may not have time to stop your snake from nipping your cats eyeball if within your boas reach, or stopping your cat from quickly attackin or pawing you boa. Both of these animals act quickly when they do. We are not trying to belittle you or bash you as they are both beautiful animals and we know you love them as we share them same love with ours, it is just not a good idea and that is our advice.

11. NoahGotHerpsDewd

NoahGotHerpsDewd Well-Known Member

I did not read that they are de-claw'd before I posted that, but biting/attacking could still be an issue. It is just with caution that you should approach doing this as it is no recommended by many.

12. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

yeah both of these animals are apex predators and cane both easily kill each other, your cat may not have his claws but she/he still has their teeth as well as your snake and if your snake latched on to your cat, you will have one heck of a time getting it off and then your cat will end up with that snake in its mouth......