This Disappears When Logged In

Coastal Pythons Throat Puffy

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by joblue, Feb 21, 2012.

1. joblue

joblue New Member

Hi . im wondering what's happening with my boy . his 8ft long and a big sook . he doesn't like coming out of his enclosure but loves patts . lately i noticed that his throat is swollen a little . he has a lg water dish but doesn't swimm ... he is eating well but more white poo than dark ... i think he might be dehydrated . tank humidity is at 80% temp 25c....
    Has anyone had this problem . i don't want to stress him out by moving him if i dont have too . the closest reptile vet is an hour away so im trying to avoid unnecessary stress to my baby . his 14 yrs old but we hav had him one yr ...out grew his previous owner

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Hi there!
    Sorry, I can't help, but I'm sure that a snake owner will be by to help you out!
    With a swollen throat, it may be a good idea to see a vet, best of luck

3. joblue

joblue New Member

Thanks . i hope so

Spoke to vet on phone . said it sounds like dehydration . weird

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Hey, do you notice the swelling after he drinks?

Also, can you give us a better run-down of your enclosure please? Humidity, temps, substrate, type of enclosure&size and substrate?

5. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Hi there, any swelling should be checked by a vet, regardless of the cause, it is not normal. It could be anything from an abcess to a tumor or cellulitis. I dont understand why dehydration would cause a snakes throat to swell, to me, that dosent make sense.
    The mere fact that he is new to you warrents a vet visit, let alone the swelling.
    Good luck with him, and please have him EXAMINED by a qualified herp vet.

6. joblue

joblue New Member

Substrate is compressed wooden pellet which i got from breeder not sure what it's called . temp 26 centergrade . humidity 80 6ft enclosure. i havent seen him drink today . today he started flicking around upside down like his trying to scratch but violently . im scared he will hurt himself .

Ive had him one yr . wooden enclosure with glass front

Vet is an hour away an im trying not to stress him more

Have appointment tomorrow

7. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Hey, I was originally thinking dehydration but the swelling along with this behavior points to something more serious.. Did you tell your vet about the flipping over? I suggest a vet visit asap the added stress of the trip is nothing compared to the illness

8. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

My thoughts exactly! Good luck at the vet!