This Disappears When Logged In

Choosing Materials

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by Emi.Sav, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Emi.Sav

Emi.Sav Member

Hey guys. I've been wanting to create my own hide outs and other accessories for a while. Right now I'm wanting to make a hide hole, and a climbable background with ramps coming off either side. Ideally, I would just make these with ceramics. But I don't have access to a kiln in my area so I was wondering if any of you creative types might know some good substitutes.

I know people have used spray foam to make the interactive backgrounds before, but I was curious as to the structural integrity of that for fully grown lizards? And the overall safety of the material in general.

I would assume polymer clay would likely emit unsafe fumes, especially under the basking light. Would your typical hobby store, air dry clay, once coated, stand up to basking temps? If anyone knows of specific brands for the clay and the coating, I would love your recommendations.

Lastly, if there's any other maluable materials that you guys have successfully used in the past I would love to know!

Im making the accessories for my own bearded dragons and a Sav monitor, but I'll also be making general herp accessories to sell and gift so I would prefer advise that is beneficial and safe to use with most species. Thanks!

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I can`t help with the materials because I use natural items, but I would be very interested in seeing your Bearded dragon and monitor enclosures. So as not to detract from the thread maybe you can start another with some pics? Thanks! ;)

3. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I personally haven't done it but I've seen some folks make things like backgrounds with ledges or platforms with foam then apply a cement or grout over the top of that.
    Maybe try looking for some videos on YouTube? :)

Emi.Sav likes this.
  4. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Haven't done it either, but yes the grout or mortar mix over sculpted foam seems to be the trick. And they make dyes for the stuff, so you could even get a color other than grey if you wanted to go all out with this.

Emi.Sav likes this.
  5. Emi.Sav

Emi.Sav Member

Thanks guys, that's good to know about the foam. I'll be hitting up some hobby and gardening stores tomorrow so I will be sure to show you guys some pictures! Thanks again!

6. Emi.Sav

Emi.Sav Member

Just wanted to drop a little update for you guys. I've been wracking the interwebs for the past couple hours looking into safe crafting materials. If I had access to a kiln, firing clay and food safe glazes are the safest bet. But alas that is not an option for me. I'm still hesitant to use the foam, as even with the grout, I have a pretty hefty Beardie and a pretty rambunctious Sav so I just can't trust the durability of it.

So it looks like my best bet is going to be sealing an air dry clay with marine standard sealants. I've heard that can run aa pretty high price, but what price can you put on safety? I'll let you guys know what I find at the stores tomorrow.

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Darkbird likes this.