This Disappears When Logged In

Choosing a Gecko

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by 0123456789, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The leopard geckos are going to be your best shot. Many of the geckos on your list are not even commonly availabe, if at all. They will also be considerably more expejsive to purchase.
    Several of them are considered only for advanced keepers due to the level of difficulty of their care. Go with the leopard and get some experience and then later you can decide if you want to try the more difficult species.

2. 0123456789

0123456789 Well-Known Member

i can only find 2 pet shops near me that sell geckos and they are all leopard geckos or day geckos but i will keep looking

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Day geckos cannot be handled.

4. herphugs

herphugs Member

Leopard geckos are where it's at for beginners (or non beginners!LOL) They're super easy to care for and live for many years. They're also really easy to keep clean, I have 2 leopard geckos in a 20 gallon long tank, and they always go to the bathroom in one corner... Yep, they're 'litter box' trained more or less. Makes cleanup a breeze. I use newspaper as substrate but it's mostly covered with marble tile pieces and various hides. All I really have to do on tank day is remove the pooped up piece of marble and hose it off.
    Super simple and rewarding gecko to own.
    Cresties are great too, but require a little bit more know how in my opinion.
    Best of luck!!!

5. 0123456789

i think in the end i would have chosen a leopard gecko

but as i can only buy leopard geckos im sort of left with no choice which is nice as a fairly tough decision was made for me

but sad as it was not fully my decision even though its probably the one i would have made

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think once you have him/her you will soon be happy with the choice! Are you building the tank yourself/parent helping, or buying? Self built is usually cheaper, and it`s to your own design.

7. 0123456789

I was going to buy but actually that sound like a pretty good idea if it saves money and i have already found instructions

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Actually, since all you really need tank wise for a leopard gecko is a 20 gallon long, its probably easier just to buy one you need. They aren't that expensive, and its easy to use with the heat mat you will need.

9. 0123456789

how long can a leopard gecko be?

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

They grow to around 9 or 10inches.