This Disappears When Logged In

Choosing a Gecko

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by 0123456789, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Of those in that list, I know house geckos are small and super fast! You can't handle them and are also good at escaping if not properly housed.

2. 0123456789

0123456789 Well-Known Member

leopard
    african fat tailed

gargoyle

flying
    fan-foot
    african banded velvet
    african clawed

bibrons
    cape dwarf
    halmahera giant
    chinese cave
    dwarf angulated painted
    dwarf yellow head
    elegant
    frog eyed wonder
    palm
    sandstone

viper
    white-spotted
    Egyptian sand

3. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

These are the easier geckos from you list. The rest are very small and require special food or you can not handle. If you want a gecko that meets all you requirements but you don't feel the need to handle day geckos are great, though need to be provided with UVB lighting. All in all, in the end get the gecko you want, but be prepared to care for it before you get your new pet.

African fat tailed
    gargoyle
    frog eyed wonder
    Egyptian sand
    Chinese cave

4. 0123456789

thank you that is really helpfull just have to pick between these 6 i will do some more research myself now

5. 0123456789

i have decided to cross egyptian sand geckos off the list as they like to tunnel and are extremely nocturnal

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Almost all the geckos you have listed are nocturnal. Its time you start reading the care sheets on these geckos and figure out which ones are right for you.

7. 0123456789

Thats what i am doing :D

8. 0123456789

the choice is too difficult i could have

Viper
    Leopard
    Fat tailed
    Gargoyle
    Frog eyed

i think i'm gunna have to go with leopard as that is what most people have reccomended

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

That`s a good choice, and when you have a little more knowledge and experience, you can try the more "difficult" species/families of reptiles!

10. 0123456789

I dont know actually

for some strange reason i sort of feel i dont want a leopard gecko i would rather have one of the others but i dont know which :confused: i dont want to make the wrong choice

i need everyone to give me a reason for or against the remaining ones on the list so i can feel i have made the correct decision and cross the final types off my list

leopard
    african fat tailed
    frog eyed wonder
    gargoyle
    viper

11. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'm wondering if you don't want a leopard gecko, because everyone is telling you that's what you should get. I was a teenager once ;)

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

O.k, type into your search engine each of those species, then look at the care sheets of each one, see what they say, then decide which best suits you. You are the only person who knows which you feel is "right" for you!

13. 0123456789

i have done that its all pretty much the same they eat crickets they like the temp above 80

gargoyle geckos might be good as they are pretty much ok at room temp does that mean i wont need a heat mat?

14. Parkerwall

Parkerwall Active Member

stick with either a crested gecko or a leopard gecko, crested geckos can climp class, crested geckos tend to be a little jumpy but are not to bad, leopard geckos are easy to handle but can't climb walls, but like they said crested geckos are tough feeders, i have a crested and i like them better than leos though no offense to anyone...

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

That depends if the temps in the room are the recommended ones for that species, (high and low).

16. 0123456789

it says that they need to be kept below 85F in the day and above 50F at night

17. 0123456789

im not even sure where i would buy anything but a leopard gecko from now i think about it all the pet shops near where i live i think only sell leopard geckos or day so i would have to go to a breeder and they are more expensive

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Does that mean from the low 80s to the mid 60s or low 70s F. ?
    You really have to be SURE that they will stay in that range, no matter what time of year, or the weather conditions which would effect the temps in your house. I think I would use the heat mat with a thermostat just to be certain.

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You can again use your search engine, just put in the particular animal you want, it should come up with where to buy.

20. 0123456789

yeah that makes sence