This Disappears When Logged In

Choosing a Gecko

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by 0123456789, Apr 8, 2010.

1. 0123456789

0123456789 Well-Known Member

Hi

My parents have said i can have a gecko and i have everything sorted out i just need to choose the right one for me, yet i hear that there are over 600 different types of gecko and i dont know which one to pick apart from a lot of people reccomend Leopard geckos.

I would like one that is easy enough for a begginner to look after, a reasonably priced one, one i can handle, it would be cool to have a green one and it would be quite cool to have one that can climb glass.

P.S. The last 2 are not essential just prefences

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think the Leopard gecko would be the best choice for a beginner, it`s good you have joined this website, there are many experienced members to ask advice from! (They aren`t green as you know, unfortunately).

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

They don't climb glass either ;)

I agree, a leo is a good beginner lizard.. however the price of the lizard itself is nominal, compared to the price of housing and feeding it.

4. 0123456789

Thank you but - a lot of people also recommend crested geckos

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

crested geckos are a bit tricky as some times its hard to get them to eat the proper diet.

6. 0123456789

Thank you

i have also heard of day geckos, raptor geckos and tokay geckos as pets

7. 0123456789

also are there any differences in vivarium set up ordiet between these geckos

8. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Are you looking for a gecko that you can handle? If so scratch day geckos and tokays off of your list. They are strictly "look but don't touch"

Honestly leopard geckos are hearty and don't have very complicated requirements, they get my vote.

9. 0123456789

what about african fat tailed and raptors

10. 0123456789

ok i have found a list if you can just give me a reson why i should not have a particular one and i will cross it off my list

leopard
    african fat tailed
    crested
    gargoyle
    house
    flying
    fan-foot
    african banded velvet
    african clawed
    goldust day
    east african green day gecko
    bibrons
    cape dwarf
    halmahera giant
    chinese cave
    dwarf angulated painted
    dwarf yellow head
    elegant
    frog eyed wonder
    palm
    sandstone
    tokay
    viper
    white-spotted

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Instead of crossing them off a list, I personally, would accept the advice of some very experienced keepers, the Leopard gecko grows to around 9 inches in length, they are not too difficult to care for and house, feed etc, so it would be better to start at the beginning, (easier option), also, some of the species you list can be quite expensive.
    I`ve taken a bite from a Tokay gecko, it`s no fun at all, definitely NOT for the beginner, or for handling, (as in "tame")!

12. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Leopard Geckos also get my vote.

13. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Hi there

I know this one is not on your list but they are said to be great for beginners, it called Egyptian Sand Gecko AKA (GGA Stenodactylus sthenodactylus) do some research and see what you think. This is the type of gecko we have and they don't need alot of room. I'll attach some pictures for you. I am a beginner like you, saying that I would listen & trust these people on the forum, they are full of knowledge and personal experience.

Enjoy and choose wisely

Michele

Attached Files:

14. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

There is lots of books and information for the leopard gecko, it seem that alot of the people think this is your safest bet for a beginner.They are the experts.

15. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Leopard geckos are probably the least expensive - once you start getting into the specialized gecko's the prices jump. They also have a relatively easy set-up. No special diet (just crickets, or mealworms or roaches for the brave). They are easily trained to be friendly and are sturdy enough to hold. They are hardy and more forgiving if something goes wrong - so you have a chance to correct it before disaster strikes.

Crested have a slightly more complicated set-up with temps and humidity levels that need to be monitored. Their diet is more specific - they need a special food along with the insects. I also found Crested Geckos to be more pricey than Leopards - in both the actual Gecko and the supplies for their care.

The rest I can't speak of, since I have never owned them.

HOWEVER!!! ALL of these geckos need to be provided with the proper set up, period!! You can't skimp because you 'don't have the money or your parents won't get whatever'. You NEED to know what they need to live well and also you need to be prepared to cover food and vet bills as necessary. Just because it's a lizard, doesn't make it disposable. YOU must be responsible for their care - and remember they can live 15 years!

Good luck with your decision. And keep doing your research, that way you can be prepared to get everything you need for the care of the gecko you decide on.

16. ReptileBuzz

ReptileBuzz New Member

Leopard geckos and African fat tailed geckos are both excellent beginner geckos with fairly straight-forward care requirements and are easily handled. Either of those guys get my vote for your first reptile pet.

Definitely do some research on both species (or whatever you decide on) to make sure you understand all the care requirements before you buy it. I'd also recommend that you get everything you need for your enclosure before you take the gecko home and get it set up and make sure everything is working so you can just bring home your new gecko and put them in their new home right away.

17. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Leopard geckos or crested geckos are two of the easiest to start with. I've owned both for years. But whatever you pick, do your homework first, know what you are getting into, and have everything ready before you take your new little friend home :)

18. 0123456789

leopard
    african fat tailed
    gargoyle
    house
    flying
    fan-foot
    african banded velvet
    african clawed
    bibrons
    cape dwarf
    halmahera giant
    chinese cave
    dwarf angulated painted
    dwarf yellow head
    elegant
    frog eyed wonder
    palm
    sandstone
    viper
    white-spotted
    Egyptian sand

19. Hedge

Hedge Elite Member

Leopard gecko also gets my vote.

I've had two for two years and have had no trouble with either.

Both have different personalities and dont mind being handled, are cheap to look after and fun to watch.

20. 0123456789

its becoming quite clear that leopard geckos are the favourites but i still wont to look at every possibility

what about viper geckos, flying, house, frog eyed and someone said egyptian sand