This Disappears When Logged In

Chinese Water Dragon Food

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Willmccown, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Willmccown

Willmccown Member

Hello I am sorry to bother y'all but I recived my CWD yesterday and he Haden's eatin yet I have medium sized crickets and meal worms his ambient temp is about 80 basking close to 90 humidity is at 70% currently is their any thing I need to do differently ? Or do I just need to allow him to adjust he is a baby and in a 40gallon tank

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, it can take many weeks for them to fully acclimate to the enclosure, so it`s perfectly normal for them not to have much of an appetite in the beginning (absolutely no forced handling).
    How are you measuring the temps and humidity and can you put a few photos up of the whole enclosure (including a top view)? Thanks!

3. Willmccown

Willmccown Member

Yes I am not handling besides to put him in the terrerium measures temps are from thermostat and a humidity gauge

Attached Files:

4. Willmccown

Willmccown Member

Here is another one sorry for the multiple post also I do not have a picture from the top but will shortly

Attached Files:

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, if those are the gauges you are using (analogue) they are probably not very accurate, you need the digital type and also a IR Temp-gun to measure the surface temp at the basking site.
    May I ask which country you are in?
    It looks as if there is a screen top, it will be almost impossible to maintain both the temps and the humidity range, you need to cover it as completely as possible (you can use aluminium kitchen foil temporarily).

6. Willmccown

Willmccown Member

Untied States in Alabama

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

O.k, in that case you can buv a digital hygrometer from Lowes or Walmart for around $13, it`s urgent you get one, and as mentioned you need a IR Temp-gun to measure the surface temp at the basking site but I don`t know where you get those except you might try eBay. I`ll put a link up for you to show what they are...
    Digital Infrared Temperature Temp Gun Thermometer Non-Contact IR Laser Point | eBay
    You haven`t said what type of heat and UVB bulbs you`re using? This fishtank is not at all suitable for a Chinese water dragon (except very temporarily), you need a relatively large and solid enclosure (no screen tops).

8. Willmccown

Willmccown Member

Ok I will get one tomorrow I have a temp gun at work il bring it home and check heat bulb it's repti bask spot lamp 100watt and UVB not sure what brand and other information besides its the same one I use for my BD
    Could you explain why it is not sutible ? I read on many forums and care sheet 20gal is sutible for baby's and I thought my 40gal would last a few months while I build A bigger cage sorry if I seem ignorant

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You need to find out exactly what type the UVB bulb is in order to be sure it`s effective both in terms of UVB output and is positioned at a safe distance from the animal.
    The smaller the enclosure the more difficult it is to create suitable temp and humidity gradients, it`s also usually very stressful for animals to be repeatedly moved to different enclosures as they grow. The idea that it would be stressful for hatchlings to be housed in relatively large enclosures is quite ridiculous when you consider the amount of space they may make use of in the wild.

10. Willmccown

Willmccown Member

Would his current set up be acceptable until I build a new cage ?

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It depends on how long it will take to get a more suitable enclosure, but for now the main concern is getting the conditions in place to support the lizard, once that`s done the fishtank (with modifications) may last a couple of months or so.