This Disappears When Logged In

Chinese Water Dragon Can't Open His Eyes/hasn't Eaten In A Few Weeks...

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by ghost_of_arkxage, Jun 26, 2017.

1. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

To the OP: I think you`re describing the nictitating membrane (perfectly normal).

2. I was gone for a while but I'm back. I measured the temperatures of the enclosure. (Analog Thermometer and Hydrometer) His Basking spot is the Thermometer is in the photos

DAY: 70(F) to 80(F)during the day. Humidity is 80% all day long.
    Night: 70(F) and drops to 60(F) when I turn the lamps back on. Humidity 60%

Also, I hate to admit this but I must have forgotten to change his diet at some point... I'm not sure when I was supposed to do that anyway but I know I should have by now... I've been feeding him mealworms since I got him. So this may because of malnutrition. IN MY DEFENCE The pet store that's here in town (A PetVaule) Doesn't supply reptile products for some reason. The closest play that supplies reptile stuff (as far as I know) its a PetSmart almost an hour away. And I lack a vehicle so there's that too. I usually have a friend who's going into the city to pick up the food and anything else I need. and usually, I buy the worms in bulk since that happens rarely. (bulk meaning 3 or 4 ... thingy-s of mealworms) That would be completely my fault. If anyone can confirm that is probably what's happening that would be fantastic... man I actually feel horrible about this...

PI'mIm attaching NEW up to date photos of the enclosures. I rearranged the stuff around.

3. What do you mean that doesnt sound normal... since its been going on for 4 months...

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Firstly, as already mentioned the analogue gauges are often very inaccurate, which means the figures you give could be either too low or too high (in reality).
    The Lizard in my opinion is in urgent need of proper care, you must get accurate measurements for the ambient (air) temps and basking surface temp plus the humidity range, once that`s done and the conditions are supportive you`ll need to improve the diet.

The nictitating membrane (if that`s what it is) is similar to a clear second eyelid and is perfectly normal.

5. These photos were taken yesterday.

Attached Files:

6. gon a keep this next question simple. Im getting the proper diet tomorrow and I want to know if theres anyway i can help feed him? besides the normal drop the food infront of him to let him catch it...because with his eyes hat doesnt seem like its gonna be happening..

7. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

The answer to your question is murrindindi's last post. Like was mentioned, probably not an eye problem, probably an appetite problem because of poor care. Get some accurate measurements of the heat and humidity, and then we can go from there. If the temps you gave ARE accurate, then that is far too cold for any basking spot, or even just ambient temperature.
    If you want him to eat, you have to take care of these other things first.

8. okay noted, can anyone give me a link to a good digital thermometer/hydrometer on Amazon.ca? (It HAS to be Amazon.**CA** because of shipping costs)

however, Neebs has been in those temperatures and humidity levels ever since I got him. very few things have changed until I got a fogger in March which is when this started to go sour. Along with a couple structures (such as the log and hanging plants and the rock where his basking spot is. And before the fogger I had sprayed the tank with a spray bottle every 5 hours)

9. AmityReptiles

I understand what your saying, and I get it. But a lot of the time it can take a while for health to decline enough to be noticed. As a baby you said he's been boring, I'm assuming you mean fairly inactive. That tells me he has been under metabolized. Even if he is eating regularly that doesn't mean his health isn't suffering every day, even if it's just slowly. With reptiles it can take a while, and then suddenly they stop eating and "shut down".
    Has your humidity gone up since you installed the fogger? If so, it might not hurt to go back to spraying until you can get your heat up to proper levels, might be worth a try to see if he feels alittle better.
    Here is a link for a therm/hygro
    OMEM 2 pack digital reptile thermometer, Celsia Fahrenheit spider turtles hygrometer (black): Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

And here's one for an IR Gun (highly recommend for measuring surface temps)
    Digital Non Contact Laser IR Infrared Thermometer Temperature Gun -50 ~ 330℃ (-58~626℉)With Date Hold and Backlight,LED Display New: Amazon.ca: Home & Kitchen

10. I just confirmed the temperature range of the terrarium. all ranges we talked about are accurate. And another thing is he doesn't have a legitimate 1 play basking spot. When I see him basking I see him in different spots. Something I CANT control... So I guess that means if the temperatures have been correct the entire time... because that's the numbers they have always been...what does that mean.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2017
  11. AmityReptiles

These are not the right temps. And you must have a basking spot light, not just a uv bulb. Here is a caresheet. Basking spot must be 95(f) not the 80(f) that you mentioned. Please read this carefully.
    Chinese Water Dragon Care

12. basking spot tempture is now set to 95f. and im going back to the method that worked. Heat during the day and UV at night. It worked up until i had both lamps on durring the day

13. AmityReptiles

Uv at night? Is it like a black light? If it's day spectrum then your lizard won't be able to cycle and sleep. You need it dark at night, or infrared or black light spectrum if anything.

14. Well, unfortunately, I lost him this normal. Literally seconds away from taking him to a vet and.. yeah the point is he's gone. Just I want to personally thank everyone on this thread for helping me out. Thanks, guys.

15. AmityReptiles

Sometimes this happens. It's a learning experience, you have some more knowledge now for next time. Sorry for your loss btw. Really sucks to lose a pet.