This Disappears When Logged In

Chinese Water Dragon Can't Open His Eyes/hasn't Eaten In A Few Weeks...

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by ghost_of_arkxage, Jun 26, 2017.

1. So I'm new to caring for a Chinese water dragon, I have had cared for a number of different lizards though. (mainly bearded dragons). Anyway, I've had my dragon Neebs for a while now, since October 2016. And he's always been kinda... let's say boring, which I get, they are usually not very social at young ages (from what I've heard). Note: ver since I got him it's always mealworms it's just what the pet store recommended.

I know most people would say take him to the vet but the closest vet from where I live is hour long drive (and I don't drive) Not to mention that money is a little tight at the moment.

But lately, since March this year, something is off. And I'm not sure what happened. He hasn't eaten in a couple of weeks. I think the reason is that of his eyes.

His eyes just will not open, and when they do... like I can see the pupil, but there's this white layer of something that overs his eyes. I don't think it's the eye itself it looks like skin or something. I don't know what this is or what happened but I'm kinda freaking out. If someone can shed some like (pun intended) that would be fantastic. Please.

- Ghost

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Take some pictures and post them up so we can see what is happening with his eyes. Also everyone is going to ask you to post your temps and some pics of your enclosure at least so please include that as well.

3. K I tried multiple times to see if I can get his eyes open and he is no cooperating. So I don't know what i can do there

4. Nevermind he decided to cooperate. (Barely) I'll have the photos up shortly. just some tech issues.

5. Sorry about the quallity

Attached Files:

6. AmityReptiles

That's ok, maybe you could send some pics of his enclosure? From what your saying and from the pics it looks like he is malnourished. This can be due to incorrect heat, inappropriate enclosure, etc etc, so the sooner you can give us your temps and enclosure pics the better we can help you.

First piece of advice, get more variety in his diet. This should be your first priority. Mealworms are ok mixed with other foods, but water dragons cannot survive just on the nutrition from mealworms (which aren't very nutritious to begin with) , you have to give them variety. Crickets make a better staple, but supplemented with mealworms, waxworms, earthworms, roaches, pinkies, Phoenix worms, silkworms, fish, etc etc. The more variety the healthier the lizard. And don't forget some fruits and vegetables for them, because they are omnivorous.

Are you using a calcium + D3 supplement and a multivitamin? Do you have a UVB light?

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, you haven`t said what the ambient and basking surface temps are and the humidity range and how you measure all those, also, can you put a few photos up of the whole enclosure?
    I would have to guess that the reason for the problems is because the conditions don`t fully support the lizard, hopefully we can offer you advise on how to do that..

8. Temperature of the encloser is around 70 - 80 F and the humidity was around 70 - 80. The tank is kept lit by a reptile brand UVB. and for heating i use a same braned light bulb. not sure what type.

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You haven`t said how you measure the temps and humidity or what the surface temp at the basking site is?
    A few photos of the whole enclosure will help.

10. sorry for not posting photos quickly, I lack a proper camera (phone is broke) and my girlfriend has the only other camera (iPad) the temps are in Fahrenheit. and the humidity is... percentage or something its what it says on both hydrometers. Ill have pictures soon. Sorry about that.

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I was asking what type of thermometer/hygrometer you use (analogue or digital) and how you measure the basking surface temp?

12. First. Analog thermometer with a hydrometer built in. and another standalone hydrometer. both analog. Anyway here are some photos of my current terrarium

Attached Files:

13. A lot of then stuff in the enclosure is relatively new ..... just thought I'd mention that

14. Kornel

Kornel Active Member

To me the Analog Thermostat and hydrometer have been nothing but trash I had one of those things and they look like they don't even seem to work at all.I would say get a ditigal themostat and hydrometer .

15. K noted but what's wrong with my lizard? it's been good since October. no changes in the tank except for a fogger... guys seriously.

16. AmityReptiles

Murr will probably have more to say, but you need to get your basking temps up. Your enclosure should be around 95 on the hot side. The thing that is happening to your lizard is he is malnourished and isn't being properly supported by his enclosure and poor diet. The humidity looks good.

Chinese Water Dragon Care

Here is a caresheet to look at. Make sure everything is ideal and hopefully your lizard will improve once you make the adjustments. If not, take him to the vet.

17. AmityReptiles

With an 80 degree hotspot your lizard can't digest his food and this leads to weakness and stress. it can drop to 80 degrees at night but needs to be much hotter in the day.
    I know you are concerned about the eyes, but this is what they do when they are stressed out; keep their eyes shut for long periods of time. Improve the husbandry, that is the only thing you can do before taking it to the vet.

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, you mentioned the animal was "boring", I took that to mean it wasn`t particularly active, if that`s the case it`s because the conditions don`t fully support it, and although they might appear in good health outwardly, inside maybe another thing, the lizard looks in quite poor condition in the photos.
    You don`t know what the temps and humidity ranges are because the analogue gauges are often very inaccurate.

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I think 95f ambient temp is too warm, the two main temps are the lowest ambient in the coolest parts @ around 24c (75f) then the surface temp of the basking object @ around 38c (100f).
    Nighttime no lower than 24c (75f)

20. AmityReptiles

Sorry I was referring to the basking temp

murrindindi likes this.