This Disappears When Logged In

Chinese Water Dragon and Frilled Dragon?!!??

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by watermonitor714, Jun 18, 2012.

1. I am planning on getting a frilled dragon and I was browsing on the internet for videos and I came upon this video and I started thinking and wondering if I could keep a baby frilled with a baby water dragon together but first I wanted to know if this is okay
    so I decided to ask the forum

[video=youtube;Q4qGf1RQ__Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4qGf1RQ__Q[/video]

2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

That video is sad :(
    Just because some one on youtube does it doesn't mean it's right. Heck there was a video of a guy feeding his burm a kitten...

First off Water dragons come from China, and frilled dragons are from Austrailia, so they would never ever encounter each other in the wild.

Water dragons need 80% humidity, from the frilled dragons care sheet they should not be above 75% humidity.
    From the video the CWD is defintly the dominant animal in that tank, did you see how stressed/upset the frilled got when he took his food?

3. justor

justor Elite Member

I agree. Nothing about that situation is okay.

4. 20thcenturfox

20thcenturfox Member

i know its wrong..but the video was funny for a second..the moment when the frilled dragon with so much anticipation got his food and the second one - quite sneaky was tryna catch the best moment to grab the food out of FD's mouth haha :)

i prefer frilled dragons though, i don't think its wrong to keep two of the reptiles together provided they would naturally encounter each other WHICH isnt the case here! and provided there's more than plenty pf space for both animals!

5. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

It is not a good idea to keep 2 species together, in an ENCLOSURE, where they have LIMITED space. No matter how much they encounter each other in the wild.
    Also, I don't think any part of this video was funny.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

YOutube the absolute WORST place to get your care ideas! The amount of pure garbage on that site is outrageous!

7. 20thcenturfox

20thcenturfox Member

according to you, then, its wrong to keep two species together in a terrarium no matter how large it is? right..because if it is a terrarium then they WILL have a LIMITED space?

maybe it was funny to me because it reminded me of my frilled dragon and i find it interesting to observe animals encounters as long as they don't get too cruel or murder detailed which that video was far from..

i totally agree you-tube has videos of outrageous pet owners, nutcases of pets ownership and lots of garbage I would never seek any advice on there.

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Any place where there is a chance one animal can get cornered is no good. I have seen mixed species in zoos, but normally they are all from the same area of the world, and the enclosure is BIG. Like at the Baltimore Zoo, they have the zebras and the rhinos together. Mixing species is tricky in something enclosed. There is always going to be a fight for dominance and no where to run. There is also a cross contamination problem of diseases.

9. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I feel passionately about not mixing species, it is unnecessary and most people do it for their own viewing pleasure, not thinking of the animal's well being and most people do it inappropriately.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

But that is the kicker right there. Its hard enough to get people to provide a big enough enclosure for a single animal, let alone multiples. A single chinese water dragon needs an enclosure the size of a refrigerator! And the enclosure in the video is obviously nowhere near that!
    Then you add another animal and the competition for basking spots hides and as you can see in the video FOOD heats up!
    This is a highly stressfull situation for both of those animals.
    On top of that the species are from different habitats and different parts of the world. Each could be carrying disease or parasites that the other species would never have been exposed to and as such would hve no inherant immunities.

The people who do successfully keep multi species enclosures are not novices. They already have a good working knowledge of the species
    involved and limit the inhabitants those which would occupy the same geographical areas but would occupy different areas of the habitats, for example a ground dwelling lizard and an arboreal lizard.
    And they would be in spaces far larger than most are willing or able to supply.
    They aren't a couple of animals indescriminately tossed into a 20 gallon tank in somebody's bedroom.

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It is really hard to keep multi species together. Different lizards would be nigh impossible as very few are nice enough to others of their own kinds let alone different ones. So for the original question No do not put a frilled with a CWD. It would probably not be too stressful if they were both babies and the cage was over size but once either one of them was near 2ft they would have to be separated. CWDs are generally aggressive towards each can't imagine how they are towards other animals. Besides once sexually mature they get extremely territorial. I had to separate my smaller CWD from the larger for issues withK food aggression and nocking each other out of trees.
    Now that aside cohabitation is not impossible even if hey aren't from the same geographical region as long as habitat and temperaments allow. Case in point I have a desert tortoise and two sulcata tortoises in a temporary enclosure and thy do extremely well together by the sizes are vastly different as the sulcatas are one fourth the size of the desert. The sulcatas also have specific burrows only they can get into and there are four basking areas set up so they don't fight over them. Lastly it is only until the sulcatas are big enough to go outside without worrying about a bird taking off with them. This set up only works because of the size difference and the fact that none of them are sexually mature as of yet.