This Disappears When Logged In

Chinese Tree Dragons Keep Dying

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by justinturner, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Reed22

Reed22 Elite Member

i just built a 4x4x2 cage for 20 bucks. i already had the ply wood, but its cheap and it comes in 8x4 sheets. buy 5 sheets of 8x4 plywood, put it together like a cube, seal it wiht polycrylic, put glass doors, i used screen doors for price issues and places for the lamps. i did all this in just 5 hours of work, and now im waiting for it to dry. you could easily build a 8x4x8 enclosure for cheap and he will be super happy.

2. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

I think the reason mine is so expensive is because I'm framing, and I'm using higher quality cabinet grade wood rather than plywood. I am also getting new lights and all that other stuff, so like I said, my total cost high. The enclosure itself may only come out to be $150. Maybe $200. Depends on it I buy power tools as well.

3. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

I got a regular cabinet dirt cheap (free lol) that im converting into a reptile enclosure for my bearded dragon. Check your local classifieds, craigs list, yard sales etc you never know what you could get cheap or free that could be cheaper to convert than building from scratch!!

4. justinturner

justinturner Member

they will have to stay in what we have for now. we dont have the money or the room for auxillary tanks right now. i will see about the bulbs today.

5. justinturner

justinturner Member

for sure. i will look into that.

6. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

For now tho you need a couple hides. Goto the store get a couple big bucket of ice cream or potato salad or some thing cheap in a large plastic container when it's empty cut a door in it and put it in upside down voila 2 cheep hides.food for you and a couple extra perches.for them too (^-^)

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Boy were you given the wrong information from everywhere.

Reptiles are solitary creatures. They will flock together as juveniles, the theory that if there are masses together, they are less likely to get picked off by a predatory. If there are 50 together, you have a 1 in 50 chance of it being you.

Watch them as they get older, you will have dominance and aggression issues. The aggression can turn deadly.

To help some more with your current setup.... Add more cross branches. Think tree. These animals are not going to stay this small. They will get a whole lot bigger. I know you say you don't have room, but you need to think about their needs and size requirements and if this means sacrificing some of your space or even giving one or two up, you may have to. And if they start fighting, they WILL need to be separated.

For water, i would switch to something like a tupperware container or a cat pan, that you can just life out and change daily. Water quality is key for these guys and that filter isn't going to cut it.

i'm sorry you were given such bad advice, but unfortunately you now have to deal with the cards you were given.

8. justinturner

justinturner Member

definitely. the wd has a log he sleeps in and the awd was outside of it last night watching him go in like "hey were's mine". so, new bed for him today. we got more branches and such yesterday. going to try and make the most of this space until we find a way to have a larger one.

9. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

Sounds like your on the right track now glad we were able to help you.